Reality Check | Teen Ink

Reality Check

November 29, 2008
By Anonymous

What if I wanted to break away from society?
A culture
Where war replaces peace
Where money replaces love
Where emotions run dry
Where coping with it doesn't apply
Is this the kind of community we want to live in?
Would you stop me from leaving?-- Can you blame me for cheating?
Cheating
My way out
Of life.
Out of School. Out of Love. Out of Pain.
Out of this
Repulsive palce
I live in
Where being a terrorist is as easy as
Having brown skin
Is this what we want to live in?
A corrupt place where rules are
Pushed aside
Where solving problems are resolved
With homocide..
So
Don't blame me for breaking away
Where there is a place hatred won't go anyway
Where
Love has meaning and is not
Replaced
By something green
Where peace reins
Over war
Where emotions rise
Above more than just words that are said
Now put these ideas inside your head
Tell me what you think now
Because if you don't think differently somehow
Then there is no hope for the future and the now!



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 141 comments.


Disgruntled said...
on Dec. 15 2008 at 5:38 am
So, I posted a comment recently which I quite believe should have been public. Yet I find I was censored. It was constructive, and was not negative in any light. This means one of two things. Either a moderator is censoring any posts which seem at all negative, in which case this will definitely be censored. Or, the author herself is censoring it. In which case, shame on you for turning your back on one of the basic principles your poem underlies. Freedom of speech and expression are to be embraced. If you are to silence those who disagree, are you not in cahoots with the society you swear to be broken from?

Redemption65 said...
on Dec. 14 2008 at 8:41 pm
You see reality which is good and you see it for what it truly is. I hope though you do not give in to pessimism and become a cruel cynic.

on Dec. 14 2008 at 5:02 pm
Well, I thought it was beautfil. I mean, so what if this is just a little bit of a strech that some poeple don't want to take? Get over it. That's society. That's where we live. Victoria, most people here call you vicky, this is an awesome and inspirational poem that means so much, and is so true. I believe it is the correct way to put society in terms- people keep trying to cover it up, and that just doesn't work. Not for long. Great poem! =D

lizzy said...
on Dec. 14 2008 at 3:09 pm
hey! good job! i can really understand where your coming from..which definitely makes a good poem! i feel like you don't always have to agree with a poem to like it..which is exactly how i feel about this one. your not looking at the world in a negative way..your just looking at it with a different perspective. way to go! keep writing! i LOVE your style!

Linda H said...
on Dec. 13 2008 at 7:00 pm
This one does not connect to me. The author defines herself as someone who sees the world so ugly and then does not want to have anything to do with how she defines it.



Sure, the are problems, but should we give up? It is our future that we are betting against.

Johnsammy2 said...
on Dec. 13 2008 at 6:56 pm
Hey Vicky,

First off fantastic poem. It really is pretty good. I also want the world to be a better place! But can we can do to start a world peace movement? The answer is everything. World peace isn't just an idea now, it can happen and it starts in at home, online, in Facebook/Myspace, school, on street, to make the world a better place we need more people like you to get there and bring more people into that mindset.

Kakanda said...
on Dec. 13 2008 at 6:46 pm
Ya ya ya, the world is all messed up and we all have to admit it. But we can all try to change the bad part together. Deciding to break away from the ugly world is not a courageous action, people...

Thao Worra said...
on Dec. 13 2008 at 5:29 pm
Like many things in life, one needs to read this poem all the way through to the end to get the complete message.



It's an unflinching look at the world yet open to the possibility of hope.



The poem is socially and politically conscious and interested in challenging the convenient perspective. As the ancient philosophers say, the unexamined life is not worth living. And there is much to admire in this work from a young writer.



I find the author has examined life and found greater causes worth fighting for, things to treasure. And it is that courage to hope with an unflinching eye that gives it merit.

on Dec. 13 2008 at 5:11 pm
A thought-provoking poem, but the message lies somewhere more plain.



The poem cites a wish to break away from society. Which is exactly what one shouldn't do. Obviously, this isn't about literary value; it's about the underlying skeletal structure of the poem. But what the world needs is not someone who wants to leave, but someone who can save. A world forgotten lays at our feet; will we forsake it?

Devin said...
on Dec. 12 2008 at 8:09 pm
The first step to solving any problem is to acknowledge that it's there.


Knowing the author, I can confidently say that she is no pessimist, she sees and revels in the beauty of the world. But like any socially conscious person, she cannot simply ignore the bad parts.





(yay, Vicky!)

TheAuthor said...
on Dec. 11 2008 at 11:01 pm
All I wanted to do was to open teens eyes. Some are ready to see the truth while others choose to be in denial.



I know that we can all change this world to be better.



Thanks for all the comments, good and bad. They help a lot. I enjoy feedback and rebuttaling the comments when I feel the need to.



I love you too Ananda! =D

Fizzy said...
on Dec. 11 2008 at 3:15 pm
In the same world as I do, I'd guess...?!



Don't tell me you never saw it that way, I have to frankly say that I could not believe you then.

It's quite the definite statement, that's true. But isn't it this kind of art which is the driving force for us teens to do something, to actually get active and change the world, make it be a better place?



For all those who did never consider those thoughts, check your reality!

Maria said...
on Dec. 11 2008 at 4:28 am
The glass, which seems to be half-empty according to the author's view, can still quench your thirst. If you keep whining, you will get even thirstier. :-D



Or better yet, you can see the glass as half-full and be rather happy with that. ;-)

Sean said...
on Dec. 11 2008 at 4:21 am
She lives in Reality and I think recongnizing that reality is a positive thing. This poem is awsome!

wellwell said...
on Dec. 11 2008 at 4:19 am
well, this poem is very good. Many ppl, as seen from below WANT to see the world as a good place, but seriously, its not. This world is F**** up...for the most part. You have to look at it on the big scale, most poeple don't realize it or don't want to accept it. but they're going to have to someday. This is REAL and happening! 5/5 for this poem cuz it speaks the TRUTH

Ananda said...
on Dec. 11 2008 at 4:07 am
Vicky you rock my world. This is such a perceptive poem. Ignore the people who say you're too negative, the point of poetry isn't to be factual it's a purely emotional thing. It's based on your opinions. Don't let them tell you that you're wrong just because they just disagree. It think it's almost as beautiful as you are!



Luvv you!!!

TheAuthor said...
on Dec. 11 2008 at 3:43 am
Do you see the world?



I want to encourage people to look outside of their own life. I want people to view everything as a whole. Sometimes we are too caught up in our own lives, that we don't see it.



People have become desensitized to everything that is happening. I am not saying you should be negative or pessimistic. I simply want to tell teens, "Hey, there is something beyond the world you live in"



This poem was based on the problems that I see. War, racism, starvation,poverty, our economy,Guantanamo Bay, etc. Things like this. It passes through one ear and out the other in some people at times.



I have been hit with reality everyday. The things I listed above as the problems I see have impacted me greatly. I don't very much like hearing about bombings, or about detainees be tortured mercilessly. I am tired of hearing it. I want to make it stop. I don't want to hear about poverty and disease. These are things I see when I watch the news, don't you want to turn on the news and for once not hear of war, poverty, death? I know that some things can not be prevented. But as a teen I am sick and tired of seeing people suffer when we live in luxury.



We have a lot going on. I want to make a difference. Writing this poem is a step I have taken to try to make a difference in how teens think. Coming to terms with reality, no matter how harsh it can be at times, is a good tool in the long run to get ready to face the world.

I am not encouraging teens to break away from the world, just face it. But sometimes the world can be a bit messed up that that feeling can overwhelm us. I am saying we must do something to fix it. I don't want my generation to be ignorant, I want them to be notified.



I believe we have been left a great mess to deal with. It's my generation's turn to fix the mess that has been left. I just happened to express it in this poem.

Emi said...
on Dec. 10 2008 at 7:46 pm
As a teenager I have to question: what kind of world does the author live in?

Ithaca Rules said...
on Dec. 10 2008 at 6:24 pm
The poem is so pessimistic! I'd say this kind of poem brings teenagers down unnecessarily because the author portrays the world in general chaos situation, like "a corrupt place where rules are pushed aside where solving problems are resolved with homocide.."



The world is not all that bad. Teenagers should be aware that you just have to contribute positive things to it, not just break away from it!

Lili said...
on Dec. 8 2008 at 12:44 am
Vicky this is awesome. Congrats. I hope you win. I'll vote for it.