Chaos Theory This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Carolyn says she believes in angels
while mascara spiders creep thickly along the
heavy baggage beneath her eyes like the
black pitch of the school hallways at night or
the charcoal that she dips her fingernails in and I
remember cheating on my math test that morning
So
I tell her I believe in people.

Roasted honey nut, the color she was born with but
you really wouldn’t know it because of the midnight L’Oréal
she chooses, tragically highlighted with Punk Pink or
Raging Red from a bottle and 15
minutes of waiting –
It spills limply over her black eyes whenever she leans down to write and
Carolyn says she believes in fate.

In planets aligning in the universe and
Feng shui that keeps mice away and prevents ulcers but also
makes a girl fall in love with a boy but
I know all about chemistry and hormones and catalysts so I
think I believe in science.

In reincarnation, she thinks she’ll come back as a bird
Or maybe a peacock and I say I agree when I
see those striped stockings that come to her knees and
neon earrings lifeless at her shoulders but she only laughs …
tells me I never really see her and to
call her later.

Now with the dial tone in my ear
the cold trembling and I’m suffocating on nothing
because I really see her and I
know she believes in the afterlife but
she doesn’t believe in laughter and
the phone just rings and rings and rings …

Carolyn said she believed in angels.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the January 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

WOWritingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 27 at 6:50 am:
I love this and I love the fact you're so absorbed in the poem you don't even realise what Carolyn's trying to say until the very end :) AMAZING. 

quatorze said...
Ever since I first found this poem over a year ago, I constantly come back to read it whenever I look at my list of favorites. This poem is absolutely amazing and captivates me from the beginning to the end. Great job on it!

roserain This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This poem is really amazing, and I don't really say that a lot. I found myself mumbling fragments of it under my breath today and just had to find it again. It must have been months since I read it last, but it affected me so much I couldn't shake it from my subconcsious. I think that's the mark of an incredible writer. I know this poem was submitted in 2009, but if by chance you (the writer!) sees these comments, I just want to tell you I think you're amazing and your writing is... (more »)

. said...
What a beautiful poem!

C-rizzle said...
Oct. 22, 2012 at 11:40 am:
Whoa. I love this. Amazingly written. It's like something we're going to find in the literary textbooks one day. It's so deep. The first time I read it, I was like, "Wait...did she...?" Then I went back and read it again and it confirmed by suspicions. Wow. It's just great. 

SweetThing said...
i love the story aspect it holds from start to finish and the captivation of it is immense :)

North-of-Beautiful This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Right now, this is my favorite poem. Would it be over kill to frame it and hang it on my wall? ;)

SouthrnBelle4Life said...
ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!

irishlass317This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is so amazing I love it!!! It is so perfect, so beautifully written....<3

Rebel13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 26, 2012 at 6:30 pm:

julietted said...
Jul. 26, 2012 at 3:05 am:
Gives you chills once you grasp the deeper meaning!

decieve_the_rainbow said...
Jul. 17, 2012 at 12:50 am:
Wow. The first time i read this i instantly loved it. Its so smooth and goes along perfectly. I also loved it because i don't fully get it yet, but i'm still reading.

wishingtheskywasbluer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 6, 2012 at 9:33 pm:
i think this is one of the best things I have ever read here. i really love this.

TheCylceGoesRound said...
Jul. 4, 2012 at 4:24 pm:
Wooooow. This is amazing.

Free.Me.Maybe.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 4, 2012 at 1:12 pm:
Nice.

~ Free :)(:

ThatGirlWithAVoice This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:27 pm:
Wow, this is probably the best peice I've ever read on TeenInk. I can honestly say it had me captivated from start to finish. Flawless!

Jul. 2, 2012 at 11:01 pm:
this is really really wonderful.

EmilyLH This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:12 am:
This is by far the most beautiful thing I've read on teenink.
chaos theory: unpredictable actions yield unpredictable reactions
it refers to the world, the universe even but you focus on this one girl, this one microcosm and you did it perfectly. 

"feng shui that keeps mice away and prevents ulcers but also makes a girl fall for a boy and"
how do you even come up with such a brilliant line? Added to favorites. :) I can't wait to see more of your work.

Michaela M. said...
May 21, 2012 at 6:16 pm:
congrats on winning the poetry contest. the poem is amazing i read it almost every other day i even have a printout that i carry. your a great writer. i hope some day i can write with as much emotion and feeling as you 

latrel said...
May 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm:
I love the puns they give it humor.this pome reminds me of an epic poem.