Hiding Who I Am | Teen Ink

Hiding Who I Am

I could only hide who I am if I didn't care for who I wanted to be. I place a fake smile on my face everyday just to make you happy with me. I have only one reason for living and that's to see if I can find another reason to want to live. I could only hide who I am if I didn't care for who I wanted to be. I make everyone laugh and I laugh before they can laugh at me. I could only hide who I am if I didn't care for who I wanted to be. I sometimes blow things up out of proportion, but what can I say that's just me. I let go and try not to care so that you can't hurt me. I could only hide who I am if I didn't care for who I wanted to be. When I grow up I wan to be just like me.

Becoming a teenager is a tough transition. Your so used to having these handed to you, but as you get older that deosn't happen anymore. You sometimes may feel alone and you begin to wonder who you are. Well that's basically what made me want to right the this poem. I wrote it when I was begining 8th grade, but I never thought much of it. A classmate of mine read the poem and said I should enter it in a contest. When I did, I was actually asked to have it published in a book. I didn't have the money to get it published and I've always had that on my shoulders. I decided to try this poem out again. I changed a few things around and now hopefully it goes somewhere.