Where I'm From | Teen Ink

Where I'm From

January 12, 2014
By AwkwardTurtle74 SILVER, Amissville, Virginia
AwkwardTurtle74 SILVER, Amissville, Virginia
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I am from the shadows.
Which is why my soul is as dark as the night.
I am from a family of God but I myself am an immoral sinner.
I am from a place that always stays the same, but every day feels different.
I'm from blood-dripping razor blades and music that is so loud that it makes your ears bleed when it's on the lowest volume.
I'm from a place where pain and suffering feel like nothing which is why I don't feel anything at all.
I am from a typical, middle-class, American family but the blood of a poor, broken Hispanic one runs through my veins.
I'm from the memories that will always find a way back to haunt me.
I'm from a home that is full of love but the feelings of loneliness and insecurity hide in the sanctuary that is my room.
I am from a place of complete terror and pain even though I put myself there.
I'm from "You can do anything as long as you set your mind to it." even though I never know where my mind is.
I'm from a lot of places.
Those are the places where you will never want to be.


The author's comments:
This poem was originally an assignment that was given to me in my Pre-AP English 10 class. I know it's pretty repetitive but it was required in the assignment. The point of the assignment was to tell about who you are and what makes you yourself. This poem is about me, who I am, and what makes me myself.