Barbie's Perfection

I walk through the door
Wearing a Barbie doll smile
So pretty so fake
But it’ll hold for a while

So happy it says
So glad to be me
The world thinks I’m perfect
Because that’s what they see

I walk up to my mirror
And look at my face
I’m starting to see tears
But only a trace

I try to fix my Barbie doll smile
So that the tears stay hidden
But now they’re pouring down my face
They’ve come completely unbidden

Because no matter how hard I try
Nothings ever going to be right
And frankly I’m sick and tired
Of putting up a fight

The eyeliner runs down my face
The blush is covered in streaks
I’m always going to be sad
Because my heart can’t find what it seeks

I pull the mirror off the wall
And throw it on the floor
I can’t stand to see myself
I won’t look anymore

So now I’m treading on the broken glass
That once was my reflection
And my maniacal laughter fills the room as I say
So much for perfection

Electricity This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 20, 2009 at 2:42 am
Omg I love this one! And I think a lot of people can relate. great piece of work!

Zero_K This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I. Love. This. It really shows how the pretty people really are under all that make-up and fake smiles. I think that maybe this is how celebrities feel.
ZERO

Kathryn.L said...
its a great piece, i love the theme of identity and the things we do to create or hide it, its the theme i was working on in one of my pieces, i'd love to hear your thoughts TeenInk.com/raw/Poetry/article/94908/The-Panopticon/

meg_soccerluver said...
Apr. 7, 2009 at 3:15 am
really really nice. i liked how u tied everything to barbie dolls. very well written and really evoked emotion. : ) good job.

angel_love said...
I totally understand what you saying here. I see so many girls act and dress like a Barbie it isn't even funny. i think that you are a wonderful writer.

MandyKae said...
Feb. 7, 2009 at 4:59 am
girl, i have chills!! this is what i go through everyday and i do get sick and tired of it sometimes to the point where i want to break every little fraction of the world that sees the fake me. this is so true for so many girls. i love it! the last stanza is brilliant. keep it up

Amarieb said...
Nov. 15, 2008 at 5:43 am
The allusion to an image of perfection (aka: a barbie doll) is such a strong metaphor when put in this context... The ending of this poem hits you hard when you realize that the speaker of the poem is sick and tired of looking down upon themselves and they find themselves through this experience... you're very talented. :)

Stephanie.Ng said...
I really like your allusion to a barbie doll. I think it's a really great poem. For the video contest to win a ipod touch, my rap kind of has to deal with what your poem says just a little bit. Keep writing, I like your poems!

leah said...
omg....when i saw u bragging on teenink, i never expected that ur poem would be....this good....itz AWESOME...! i luv it..!

3fieldhockey said...
I reallylike your poem. I think it is really well written.

kirsten! said...
Oct. 21, 2008 at 1:52 am
i like this one it really shows what many girls (like me)try to do everyday hide that tears that will fall anyway but finally getting over it i love the ending keep writing!!