Reflections | Teen Ink

Reflections

June 8, 2013
By Hannah Cofer GOLD, Syracuse, New York
Hannah Cofer GOLD, Syracuse, New York
18 articles 0 photos 5 comments

When I look in the mirror, I see two different people.
I see the person everyone around me sees

And I see the person hiding within.

I see the confident, smart, driven person that everyone thinks I am

And I see the stupid, insecure person I know I am.

I see someone people could be jealous of, someone who could be important someday

And I see a person who will never amount to anything, someone who everyone pities, but ignores, as if their idiocy is a virus, to be passed on to anyone who gets too close.

I see someone based on their achievements, a person fashioned from their portfolio, not their character

And I see someone stripped from their shield of judgments and conclusions made from looking at a piece of paper, covered in GPA’s and test scores and extra-curriculars.
I see me for who I am, not for what they say I am based on what they can see without looking at my face, without seeing my expressions ripple over it like waves on water, without hearing my laugh, without listening to my voice. They judge me on what the read from a piece of paper.

I see a confident lie that I'm to scared to uncover.

I see an unconfident truth that I can't show without uncovering a lie that I've become too used to selling.


The author's comments:
Sometimes I feel that the people around me can't see past the portfolio of my achievements to the real me hidden behind. Then, whenever they say things about me, that I'm smart or confident or artistic, all I can think is they're not seeing me, they're seeing my accomplishments. I wrote this poem to show what that feels like.