The Song of Separation | Teen Ink

The Song of Separation

I
And so back she marched to where she vowed never to return. Her head may be bowed in discontent but determination is in her eyes. "Twelve months 'til I am free" she says to herself.

II
Home beckons, it whispers my name fervently. I dream of home only to awake with a sad heart. Take me home, for I am weary. I need the sun, I need the sleep, I need the love I feel there.

III
Just a little bit longer and soon you'll be home. Home--so close I can taste it! Home--so near I'm almost bursting. I'm almost there.

IV
For each day that draws closer, the less patience I have for this place. So close and still so far away. But also with each day I grow frightened--what will I find when I go back? Will I be happy? Ties have chained me here, will I be released?

V
The winds have come for me, my time is here. This morning I felt the winds of change and I was not afraid. The winds have come for me "To the west" they whisper. The ties have been broken--Freedom is now in my hands, it glows with the promise of happiness. I seize it now and with the winds I go. No more tears, no more pain--I go to the west where freedom lays.