The Witching Hour of 1692

As wolves cry, so too does my sin
In the dark of night, inner demons beckon
Always giving one last, yet second, chance
For me to join the infernal devil’s dance.
Memories of papa’s unshaven face,
Rubbing against mine, describing the place
Which only the Puritans enter at death
The place where sinners meet God’s wrath.

But that makes me too, an Evil one
No cleaner than they
No better than the wicked
Who so wrongly display
Their powers that transcend the sin of Eden.

Right now, as I run, in the wood
Behind the iron lands where my pastor father stood
Watching a devil-girl run as the wind
In the borderland where so shall Hell begin.

Witches call me, their siren song
louder than the wailing girls
I sneer and spit at them, not looking back
Refusing their weeping, for at nights end
I’ll make sure to unleash Satan, personally upon
Putnam and her so-called “godly” kin.

vegangirl0725 said...
I love your poem, I read a book on the salem trials. I can imagine this.

Claudia.VII replied...
Thank you. I've just started out on poetry. I kind of like this one myself, even though I've only written a couple, and have left the majority unpublished. :)

Kati312 said...
Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:54 am
This was beautifully written. I loved how dark and vivid and I would love to see this kind of writing more often!

Claudia.VII replied...
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! It really helps me get a good look at my writing now. :)

IMSteelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Eery and vivid, very good writing.

Claudia.VII replied...
Thanks, it means so much! :)

Labtopnerd This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This was a very well written poem. I love how this was from Betty Parris's point of view. I usually hate poems that don't rhyme, but this one held so much emotion, I thouroughly enjoyed reading it.

Claudia.VII replied...
Thank you!

CammyS said...
I think you captured the feeling you were going for very well. Quick question- is the girl accused of being a witch, or is she afraid of the witches in her town?

AthenaMarisaDeterminedbyFateThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 11, 2012 at 11:22 am
I really love this. Your use of language is amazing, and the story is brilliant. It only needs a bit of clarity, because I don't really understand: does she believe in witches and believe that they are not good? Is she defying her religion and running away? Or is she running from being accused of something she didn't do? Or is she scared of the people accused of being witches? I really love this poem, though.

Claudia.VII replied...
Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:37 am
If I were a lazy author, I'd make the claim, "But that's what I wanted to do, make you think of all these questions and ultimately, find out that THIS is poetry." But that would only leave you annoyed and without an answer, so I'll say that yes, my character's motive was slightly hazy, but what I meant to convey was that the basic plotline is: Her father is the pastor of a very strict religion, so she begins to become fascinated with witches simply for the fact that it&... (more »)

Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:40 am
That's a really good plotline, then. That might be something to turn into a book :D