my special sister

By , brooklyn, NY
I have a little sister.
She's very dear to me.
But you just think shes different,
the outside's what you see.
My sister's not like yours
and that is all you notice.
You point when I'm not looking.
You sneer, and laugh, and hiss.
You think she doesn't notice,
She doesn't understand.
You taunt a helpless child.
You have the upper hand.
Does it really please you
To point, and laugh, and stare?
You think she doesn't notice,
or see, or hear, or care?
My sister's not like yours
But don't you dare upset her,
because my sister's not like yours
to me she's much much better

malya said...
hey, i just wanted to add a little explanation to my posting. i wrot this about my little sister who has severe autism. people in the street stare and point and make nasty comments. im hoping that people will read this and maybe gain a little sensitivity.  by commenting on this poem, you will be giving me much needed support, as well as my fellow "siblings of disabled children" who i will be showing these comments to. by sharing this poem with others you will be spreading the ... (more »)

talirox said...
as the sibling of an autistic child, i can totally relate to this and honestly wish i could yell this poem at some of my classmates! thank you so much for putting my feelings into words!

malya replied...
thank you for posting! growing up with an autistic sibling may be hard, but it definetly has some good parts to. feel free to show this article to whoever you want, or post it in your school newsletter. it may turn on that little lightbulb in your classmates heads. you can even put it underyour name. i really dont mind. its just important to spread awareness! good luck, love, malya