An Ode to a Moonlit Field | Teen Ink

An Ode to a Moonlit Field

By SeanMoore GOLD, Campinas, Other
SeanMoore GOLD, Campinas, Other

"if i had to choose between breathing and loving you, i would choose my last breath to say 'i love you'"-unknown

In a field of golden daffodils I lie;
Beside a lake and beneath the trees.
While my heart can only trudge on and sigh,
The field remains in its state of beauty and ease.
I look up to my smiling crescent moon,
And her smile, for me, dips low
To mend my crescentfallen heart.
And with my crescent shaped tunes,
Of adoration and gusto,
I will lasso my moon- so that from me she will never part.

‘An immutable desire to see into your night blue-flower scented dawn

blooms from my insides -it waters the desire to be within fixed proximity to you.’

And with skin touching- the aroma of a deity has on me come upon.
And her glow - mooding our seeding, wishes aridity adieu.
An inexperienced arousing then buds;
which flowers into moments of efflorescent passion-
where Soft rouge lips rest, osculate against the skin,
Lips so warm-balmy evoke my heart’s thuds,
and your petal-light hands keep on passing-
Until to your touch,sensual and delicate, I submit; “my love, permeate in!”

The allusion, or reference, to daffodils is purposely done in the first line because William Wordswoth’s “Daffodils” is a poem I like a lot. I thought of that poem when I first thought of what and how to write this ode. Everything is described in a way that relates it to flowers and this is because the name of the person I wrote this poem thinking of means Princess of Flowers. Also, the references to the moon has to do with her name too because her middle name means crescent moon, or half moon. The word gusto in line 9 might seem out of place but I used it on purpose, not just to rhyme, but also because the girl I wrote this thinking of, her native language is Spanish. The blue and dark lights simply resemble the moons light on the field – the filed of daffodils is like an extension of the moon’s self – if you can picture, the guy is laying in this field of daffodils, he places himself in her love;

The word crescentfallen in line 7 means crestfallen but I mixed the word crescent to be related to the moon and since crestfallen means to be sad and disappointed and a crescent moon is half, not complete – it is a word that paints a picture of incompletion. Also the word in line 14, mooding, simply means to be setting the mood for.

This poem over all tells the love and deep passion this man feels for this girl. The fact that she is the moon and she is not human contributes to the idea that he can see her, and even feel her in the glow of the moon and the engulfing field of daffodils, but cannot be with her. This man cannot be with her because of different reasons but the moon resembles a sort of forbidding love. The second part is more adoration and the first two lines are words spoken to her. He talks about how her moonlight moods their love (even though she is not really there) and he describes all of the physical contact he gets from her as being something related to flowers. All of the contact being experienced is really the field; he is laying in her field of daffodils, and extension of her. He is lying in this moonlit field, thinking of this girl. He relates her to a moon since she is “out of his reach” and imagines the physical contact they have and describes it as things related to flowers – again he is not really experiencing it and telling an account of something that happened – just something he is thinking of…the field is contributing to the physical contact he is coming in contact with. The half moon does in fact have to do with the definition of her name but it also resembles incompletion. This is an ode describing the beauty of this girl through nature.