Innocents in Darkness

People tend to fear purity
They fail to value inexperience
But know that it’s their insecurity
That makes them so imperious
We think violence can be heroic
No matter what we’re told
Our youngest are the stoics
Who know we must uphold
True courage, which comes with sensitivity
Empathy and encouraged creativity
People complicate things
What we need is simplicity
People shouldn’t drive to be kings
But be happy with domesticity
The only One to rule
Is one that’d hate nothing more than just that
All others are fools
That force themselves to combat
Innocence with aggression
Lightness with darkness
This grave misimpression
Enlightens the starkness
Of innocents forced
Into a perilous position
A sinister course
An essential mission

Shadow_WolfThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 4 at 8:45 pm:
I love the rhyme scheme within this poem, and the contrast comparisons you make..... This has a very strong image, and a very detailed arguement....  MAGNIFICENT!!!!

411EllieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 4 at 8:43 pm:
The ending was striking. Fantastic job, Emmett!!

LiraDaeris said...
May 16, 2013 at 12:40 am:
Lol you really would have loved George Washington back in the day. I wish we could have everything fixed by being friends, but sadly "The Wizard of Oz" was only a dream. Justice and mercy must both be served. While I, too, do my best to be friends with everyone, there will be a point when everyone must stand up for something or someone. I do, however, see your thought process and respect it, and I wish more politicians were like how you see to whom the power of leadership should be given. Oh,... (more »)

_Kimothy_This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 13, 2013 at 12:14 am:
Your word choice is absolutely amazing, and I loved the message of the piece. Very very good

Elizabeth-of-rohanThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Simple images, but it's still good. :)

AnnaX This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 11, 2012 at 6:42 pm:
Hello, this is a very nice piece of work! I like the words you incorporated into it, as well as the sophisticated sentences. Great job.

bcw095 said...
Jun. 9, 2012 at 6:13 pm:

Very well done! I definitely do not think you are bad poet like you commented. This piece is wonderful.

If you'd like to strengthen your poems, make sure you're piercing the reader with strong images. Relay your message with words that work together to put an moving image in the reader's mind (which you did here). Huzzah.

EmmettLaFaveThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 10, 2012 at 1:27 am :
Thank you so much! Good tips.