Chaos

It seems to thrive in the worst of times, gripping at the edges of life to tear it apart. You tremble at the very thought of it approaching, because you do not want to be caught in its flaming arms. It can cause pain, both mental and physical, and yet we still permit its existence. While it comes in times of war, it also comes when we are at our happiest. Balloons being released into the air, the wind guiding them like a spirit; children screaming when they see them float by; and the thundering of our feet against the gravel as we try to catch the orbs are not moments that bring us peace, but we still do not will them away. We all desire to sing, to dance. Chaos is neither our friend nor our foe, but it is instead a creature whose relationship with us is unique within itself. This is why it lives.

Seeker100 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
wow, this is incredible.  I'm especially taken with the diction you used - descriptive word choice is something I strive for in my own writing as well. Really fantastic piece!(:

torilutz8 said...
May 22, 2012 at 9:09 am
Really interesting, and I agree with Aster. For something like chaos, it could be really cool to start messing with the English language :p good job :)

Aster. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Very interesting take on chaos. Good, original ideas. I like to think of poetry as an artform, even if it is an article. You may want to try playing around with capitalization, line spacing, or eve grammar! Once you know the rules, you can break them!

DaisyAngel replied...
May 26, 2012 at 9:46 am
I've actually read a really good poem like that. I think it's under my favorites. :)

Behind_a_Plastic_Smile said...
i love the imagry created where. your personification of chaos is very interesting and unique- the only thing i would say if the formatting would be better of separated into verses and stanzas

IAmWhoIWantToBe said...
I like how you describe the chaos and I like the imagery when you compared it to the balloons, children and thundering of feet. I also like the concept of this poem--the relationship between human beings and chaos. Other than that, I think you should break it into lines because when I first saw it, it looked to me more like a prose than a poem. But I really like this poem.

DaisyAngel replied...
May 26, 2012 at 9:42 am
Thanks for commenting! It's actually a prose poem, which people aren't really as familiar with and/or don't accept as a true form of poetry. There isn't a category on Teen Ink for it, but most other websites recognize it. :)

Lizla This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really like this! It's a unique take on an uncommon topic. Well done! I think the only thing that would improve it is some formatting, some of the lines run a little long, shortening them makes the leaps between lines more distinct. 

Inksy said...
I like this a lot. I kept trying to figure out what it was, like a riddle, until I remembered the title (: I like your perspective on it and all of the different situations and emotions you fit the word "chaos" into. My only suggestion is to fix the formatting. Other than that, fantastic job, keep up the good work (:

these-roses said...
hola i like this poem, keep writing :)