I'll Be Home Tonight | Teen Ink

I'll Be Home Tonight

By jackscardino GOLD, Rochester, New York
jackscardino GOLD, Rochester, New York

They took my keys and I hit the sack
Out in the rain by the railroad tracks
The sun lit the night sky up in the air
And for just that moment it all felt fair

Hey babe, I’ll be home tonight
Hey babe, I’ll be home tonight
Guide me there by the night light
Hey babe, I’m be home tonight

I grew up in a nice hometown
The sky bright blue and no reason to frown
Pitch and catch down at the park
Until the clouds rolled in and it got dark

Hey babe, I’ll be home tonight
Hey babe, I’ll be home tonight
Guide me there by the night light
Hey babe, I’m be home tonight

Everybody needs a place to stay
I’ll take the train, you can take your way
Just be on time and keep on crawling
I said I’m coming so long as I’m calling,

Hey babe, I’ll be home tonight
Dinner’s made, I’ll be home tonight
Keep it warm at least while I’m in sight
I have prayed I’m coming home tonight

Listening to music is the key to everyone's heart and soul, and as such it is not unfortunate that I am a huge fan of the Boss, Bruce Springsteen and his work. In this piece, I take his hit single, "Hungry Heart" from The River album, and write my own story in his rhyming structure. Like "Hungry Heart," my piece took no more than five minutes to write, and is a popish, high-living, happy-sounding song. I did not write this piece to be a fantastical poetic opera; I wrote it to be short, anonymous, and affectionate, looking into an average person's life and explaining a certain desire, dream, or memory. The piece begins in the present; someone has grown up (unsuccessfully) but still with hope, realizing that he/she has come to pay the price for the life they led. It moves into the speaker's joyous and prosperous past, showing that somewhere between the first and second verses something went wrong. The chorus follows Springsteen's structure (A/A/B/A), giving hope, and continuing to tell the story. The final verse also begins as Springsteen's ("Everybody"). It presents a new idea or realization of the speaker, which the speaker will peruse when the song ends; there is a "light at the end of the tunnel," so to speak.

Thanks for bearing with me through my speech. Thank you for your interest in my work. -J