Dreams | Teen Ink

Dreams

Dreams…

create the illusion of drifting far off into another world, a magical kingdom with puffy white wisps of clouds, and fairies with dresses the colors of the rainbow, their hair spun golden by the sunlight, and dainty toes that tickle your arms as they float by: the place you wish to go to escape from the reality of the world at night, a way to hide from day, traveling on a relaxing journey to a mythical kingdom, where sweet sorrows melt away into joy; the sound of the word makes you sleepily drift into a hazy wonderland, but the word is so misleading; it is the opposite of its true meaning, not the connotation of happiness that you should feel, but dreams portray a time when you are plagued by evil monsters haunting you, driving you to your death bed, pangs of death and doom eating away at your insides and gnawing at your flesh, the dreams you urge yourself to wake up from, then endless hours later, laying in bed awake staring up at the ceiling, putting off sleep as long as possible, as not to enter the nightmarish black hole where your life once was and where you will be eaten alive by your own fear of demons chasing you, insulting everything you are and love, following you every way you turn, until you wake up and it was only a dream, I think, but can you be so sure of the everyday similarities, the alarming truth of the triggering realizations of others close to you, dreams telling the truth you wish not to know, to evade forever, searching for significance of them, pining for their meaning with a pan in a river, for the golden informational meaning, racking your brains for memory of the experience at all, so quick, take a pen and write it down, before it is lost forever in a sea of nothingness, gone, escaped from your mind forever.

Ann Mott said...
Amanda - This is amazingly well done. I am very impressed by the depth with which you write. GREAT JOB!

AuntRene said...
on Aug. 16 2008 at 1:22 am
Wow, Amanda...very compelling and thoughtful exploration of the two "sides" of dreams. It gave me a lot to ponder...

friendoflee said...
Well done. Very descriptive and insightful. Keep up the good work.