Slam Poetry - Just Be You | Teen Ink

Slam Poetry - Just Be You

April 13, 2012
By Beargrills SILVER, Centerville, Iowa
Beargrills SILVER, Centerville, Iowa
9 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"I murdered a rock, I injured a stone, I could hospitalize a brick, I'm so mean I could make medicine sick." - Muhammad Ali


Just Be You

If you’re going to break, don't beat around the bush. Just Break.
No explanations.
No excuses.
No and's, if's, or but's
You’ve got to break
You’ve got to take the pain from your heart
And relegate it to your fists and might.
Find your better judgment ‘till you’re fine again,
Don't make your body remember what it already knows how to do— bending over backwards for everyone, for society.
Scream until your voice gives out
Please no more polite conversations with your enemies
Give fight something useful to do.
Change your life.
Change your outlook on the world.
Not for your friends, parents, girlfriend, boyfriend, or any one else.
Change it for you.
For all of the people that said they would always be there and want to see you do something for yourself. Make someone of yourself. For YOU.
If society says you can't do something or you can't be someone, do it.
Be that person you were always doubted.
Be that doctor, or lawyer, or veterinarian, or soldier or whoever YOU want to be.
I'm not telling you rebel without having a cause. Find a cause. Have a cause to be you.
In fact, I'm not telling you to do anything except for be yourself and don't let a single
person judge you.
Because no one that is your true friend can stand to see you like this. Being the epitome of a conformist. Mediocrity defines conformity.
Make Grass push to the sidewalk cracks just to kiss your feet.
Everything you do, do for a cause and not because you were wished to by another.
Make people notice you and pay no attention to it, because even if they didn't.. you still wouldn't care.
There's only a few people that will ever change your life, that's your parents, anyone you put on a pedestal, the love of your life, but most importantly yourself.
YOU will be the determining factor between right and wrong. You will be the line that lies between do and don't.
Failure or success it's completely up to you.
All you really want and the one's that love you want from you is to be yourself.
Because they don't love you for your perfections, they love you for all of your flaws.
They take everything wrong with you and accept it into their life.
I dare you to be yourself. There will only ever be one you in the universe. EVER.
Society gives the impression to need non-conformity and fear non-conformity in a seemingly equal measure.
If you can't trust yourself, why should anyone else trust you?
You have to believe and love yourself.
Being yourself may come with a price.
Not a fee or a charge.
But it may cause people to not like you.
Is that worth it?
Is self- dissatisfaction, and frustration worth those few untrue friends?
Your true friends will be happy to see the real you.
Take the challenge Be whoever or whatever nature wants you to be.
Let someone in your heart. But never lose sight of who you are.
I dare you to be yourself.