CUBA REVOLUTION ESSAY | Teen Ink

CUBA REVOLUTION ESSAY

By shayna snyder BRONZE, Eugene, Oregon
shayna snyder BRONZE, Eugene, Oregon

Shayna Snyder
June 1st 1953- I decided to start writing a journal to help me keep track of life. Hopefully it helps. By the way, my name is Juan, and im fifteen almost sixteen. My father is in the war, and I am very worried, and so are my brothers and sisters. I don’t know how to explain my life right now..Lets just say there is a lot of innocent dead people from all ages, and it’s all because of Castro and his revolutionaries. Castro Made the speech “History Will Absolve Me” in his own defense.
June 3rd- I realized that I forgot to mention that my older brother Oscar is in the army with my father, I look up to him and my father so much, but mostly him. My father wasn’t around very much, so Oscar taught me basicley everything I know, I don’t know what I would have done if he wasn’t there to help me grow up, and i’m sad that he is gone now. I know it is my job to help my younger siblings and teach them what Oscar taught me, so they will look up to me as I do Oscar.
February 17th 1959- I can’t believe I found this! I thought I had lost it forever.Too much has happened in the previous years to even describe, I wouldn’t know where to begin anyway. But there is one thing that I think about almost all day everyday. My brother Oscar was killed in the army a year and a half ago.. I was at school when I heard the news, and I was devastated, I spent the rest of the day in the bathroom stall, and then had my mom pick me up. I started to get depressed, I still kind of am. My father’s back home, but they could still use him, so he could get called back. Yesterday Fidel Castro became the Premier of Cuba, which isnt good because he was one of the key players who helped this revolution happen. Last month, the 1st day of the year, Batista fled after resigning. Five days later Manuel Urrutia became President of Cuba. I guess we will see how that goes.
March 3rd 1959- Today we found out that Castro’s government is expropirating properties that belongs to the International Telephone and Telegraph Company, which is lowering telephone rates. Today my father got some kind of call, when I asked who it was and what it was about, he pretended like he didn’t even hear me...
March 10th 1959- So me and my family found out what the call was about, my father told us at the dinner table. He told us that they called him back. My siblings and I were torn by this, ever since Oscar passed, We have been frightend that it would happen to our father too. I don’t think i’m going to continue this journal, All its doing is making me look deep into my situations, and that is not helping