Corona Del Mar | Teen Ink

Corona Del Mar

By ymonet BRONZE, Edmonds, Washington
ymonet BRONZE, Edmonds, Washington

As the sky softly blushes with the first hues of dawn,
We wake up and take our journey
To our secret niche behind the great walls
That were built years before.
We arrive in the lonely, dusty, gray morning,
Where surfers retreat from the water,
Like warriors from a hard fought battle,
Their bodies dripping with the salty blood of their enemy.
We bathe in the scorching white sunlight at noon,
Then cautiously approach the beast.
The monster that lies within is not kind.
It has eaten some and spit them out.
It waves back and forth,
Taunting those who are brave enough,
To brace the cold that pierces the skin like a dagger
And try their luck at conquering the demon again.
We lie on our never-ending meadow of brown
And watch the sky dim the lights in the universe
From yellow
To orange
To red,
Sprinkling its last drops of gold
Onto the majestic silver monuments,
That take constant beatings from
The waves that spray us with the fine mist of the ocean.
Our bodies tingle as the droplets of water
Grace our bodies like a fine mist,
Partly because it cools our singed skin
And partly because we are nervous that
We might never return to our veiled venue
Where the the deep grumble of the monster’s belly
Mixes with the sweet laughter of children
And the high pitched cries of gulls
To create a perfect harmony that can only be found here.
We pack up our belongings
As the sun,
The only source of light,
Peeks its head over the horizon,
Just enough so that we can see
In this once again desolate battlefield.
It illuminates the weary orange faces of loved ones as
We make our journey to our homeland
Where the only source of light is artificial.

I decided to paint a portrait of Corona Del Mar in California. I am from California and it is one of my favorite places to be because I feel a connection to it and and because the weather is much nicer than Washington. This poem is supposed to be like a time lapse. It was the same beach, just at different times of the day. I was inspired by Monet because when he painted, he focused on how light and shadows affected an entire scene. He once painted 50 portraits of the same cathedral from the same spot, but at different times of the day. Each one was very unique and looked very different from the others. I used color to describe the beach at dawn, midday, and sunset. The morning is gray because, even though it is southern California, there are clouds in the early morning, especially at the beach. Midday is white because the sunlight is so bright and just reflects off of everything. The sunset was a variety of colors because in California, there is no sunset that is just orange or just red. All the colors just fade into each other and create a beautiful scene. Through personification, similes, and metaphors, I tried to create a distinct difference between the sky and land at the beach and the ocean. The things I love most about the beach are the beautiful colors of the sky, the blistering heat, the sounds, the feeling of sand between my toes, and the laziness of the atmosphere. The only thing I don’t like is the water. I love the sight and the smell of the ocean but it scares me and it’s very cold. Using phrases like “surfers retreat from the water/Like warriors from a hard fought battle” and “The monster that lies within is not kind”, I painted a picture of the ocean being a scary place. In contrast, I used words with good connotations like “golden” and “laughter” to paint a picture of everything else at the beach as being lovely. I started many of my lines with We+verb as repitition and used a little bit of alliteration with “singed skin” and “veiled venue”. Finally, my last line and the line “…we are nervous that/We might never retuern to our veiled venue…that can only be found here” are just complaints about our society. I think people these days are glued to their screens – TV, computer, and phone – too much. It feels good to step back and return to where we came from. There are only few moments in life where people are completely and utterly immersed in nature.