A Biology Lesson

It makes your stomach churn,
it makes your bowels quiver.
At periods pangs of pain will preside,
at others you moan and shiver.
You try to take the medicines,
you try to take the pain killers,
you try to sleep and forget.
Soon, your appetite withers.
Nothing but useless noises
emit through your dry lips,
but you’re not getting the sympathy
you looked for; Soon your resolve slips.
And as you begin to squirm,
as their disgust begins to grow,
a wave of nausea takes you-
in an instant you crouch low.
And you choke and jerk and vomit
your insides all out on the floor.
And you curse in your head as their faces turn red,
cleaning up will alone be your chore.
And you see the chitterlings and grits-
the slops meant for the pigs-
surge and splatter upon the tiles.
And shame digs-
their actions crux the crunch-
they distastefully call the doctor,
for the one who has lost their lunch.
Then the doc squats down low,
and observes your color gone green,
your heart feels as rotten as your belly
as he rises and ends the scene.
A gesture of the Professor,
one tiny twitch of a shrug,
a flick of the fingers to the interns,
“Observe, the jealousy bug.”

JoPepperThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 24, 2012 at 4:12 pm:
Wow so much detail, I know exactly how it feels!

maizyiscrazy said...
Mar. 19, 2012 at 6:43 pm:
This is soo cool! I love how you went into so much detail; that is EXACTLY how I feel!

horsewriter4evr said...
Mar. 17, 2012 at 11:42 pm:
wow this give a really strong image its really cool how you did that...i guess that's what i should be expecting soon....

Behind_a_Plastic_Smile said...
Mar. 17, 2012 at 2:18 am:
tris was really cool and so inteligentely griten and the imagery was jus so vivid

beautifulspiritThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 15, 2012 at 4:37 pm:
The images you meant to put forward were vivid, and my stomach turned a bit~ It was a cool poem---I felt like I was back in ninth grade biology dissecting worms and pigs.

AgentOrange789 said...
Mar. 15, 2012 at 11:06 am:
This is really awesome! I actually had to go back and reread the whole thing after the last line, to figure out how ingenious it was. haha :D

fluterocker015 said...
Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:01 am:
this is really good! (:

Ariya said...
Mar. 14, 2012 at 3:43 pm:
I can totally relate to this. I love how vividly it's written and how the feelings are explained.

dreamshakerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 14, 2012 at 3:13 pm:
This is stunning.
I love it - it's so intense, and the descriptions are so vivid. I particularly loved the last line! It was perfect.

miaq96 said...
Mar. 14, 2012 at 12:52 pm:
when you start reading it,seems you are a tough time and battling with your soul. Even if you have any confusion throughout the reading it gets straightened out when you reach to the end.Ithink every one can relate to this poem because we all have the green monster inside of us.On the whole i love the comparission of sickness to jelousy:)

krarthurs said...
Mar. 14, 2012 at 10:52 am:
I really enjoyed this poem. The whole aspect of jealousy and the symbolism you included in this piece was incredible. Well done. 

miaq96 said...
Mar. 14, 2012 at 6:04 am:
hmmm really good.i felt mixed emotion though...but on the whole really creative,i like it:)

Kinzi replied...
Mar. 14, 2012 at 11:40 am :
I am curious- what mixed emotions did you feel? It would sort of help me out if I could know how you as the reader felt, because as the author I can be pretty biased to what I have written. =P

loveissmilesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 12, 2012 at 7:42 am:
I am taken back by this, and am left rather speechless. But...it's good. I think. I am a little confused though...What was the message here? What did u want me, the reader, to feel? It's a good piece, i just wish that your message had been more clear.

Kinzi replied...
Mar. 13, 2012 at 2:14 am :
This poem is an extended metaphor- it's comparing jealousy to a sickness. Really, the whole point of this poem was to create vivid images in an attempt to explore the ways jealousy makes us act. I was trying to capture the complex feelings that come with jealousy- such as pain, self-disgust, etc. I was particularly trying to focus on how, usually, when someone is sick they get a lot of sympathy and concern, but how in the end jealousy is just a sickness that others are only repulsed by. So reall... (more »)

Kinzi replied...
Mar. 13, 2012 at 2:16 am :
Thanks so much for the feedback though. =] You definitely made me critically look at my poem again in a way that I hadn't really considered. That was very helpful.