I Know Why! | Teen Ink

I Know Why!

By dunguen1 GOLD, Louiisville, Kentucky
dunguen1 GOLD, Louiisville, Kentucky

"Find the light to help you out of the dark taht is never to far behind and cling to it because once you go into the unknown you will never be the same, if at all you will be different and different is good." -Unknown

I know why the caged bird sings!
When you’re so immoral that you get sent to Alcatraz you feel pride, joy even. You’re going to show people that it’s nothing more than an edifice on a rock. You’ll pull some strings and get out fast, but there are numerous head counts every five minutes. And no contact is allowed to the world. It’s a horrible fortress of solitude atop a rock right off the bay!
You now know why the caged bird sings!
The Living conditions are atrocious. You have tasteless gray slop for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. You work for the very place that you’re trapped in. You’re woken up before the sun and put to bed after. You live in resides that are dingy and crammed.
You now know why the caged bird sings!
ESCAPE! That tremendous thought echoes through your head. But how? No one had ever made it off Alcatraz and lived to tell the tale. Every night the moon beacons you to come and the sea whispers in your ear. The faults in the bulwark scream for you to follow its voices.
You know why the caged bird sings!
It’s crying out for help,
But nobody is listening!

I wrote this thinking about what it would be like to have been a prisoner on Alcatraz.