How YOU Can Help Save the World | Teen Ink

How YOU Can Help Save the World

January 19, 2012
By IlikeEnglish BRONZE, Ashburn, Virginia
IlikeEnglish BRONZE, Ashburn, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Before you read this, there is one question that we should probably get out of the way first. This question is, “What is going green?” Going green is when someone shows, in their actions, that they care about the environment. A big part of going green is trying to stop global warming. And don’t worry. If you have any more questions, I’ll answer them!

There are lots of good things that can come out of going green. Everything would be cleaner, like parks, sidewalks, and your whole community by picking up trash and recycling. And you know how hot it gets in the summer? Sometimes, I feel that I would do anything to get cooler in the summer. You can help make it a little cooler by helping to stop global warming. You might be asking, “What is global warming?” It is the slow heating of the earth due to Co2, which is produced by cars, factories, and things of that nature. This warming will cause the oceans to rise, as the polar ice caps are melting, which could cause flooding and storms. By going green, you get the satisfaction of doing something nice for your community and the world.

Despite all of these pros, there are some cons too. First of all, just stop and think about how much your daily life would change. You would have to walk and/or bike to most places that you go. You wouldn’t be able to use your T.V. very often either. Also, businesses would have to do major reorganizing. This could become a huge inconvenience and a possible huge expense. Factories would have to do some drastic reforms too. Think about how much pollution factories give off. It would probably be hard for some people to change their daily lives.

Without going through too much trouble, there are easy ways to go green that almost everyone can do. You can follow the three R’s-reduce, reuse, and recycle. You can turn off the water while you’re brushing your teeth. You can also try not to waste water. Try and join a group that does community service. Carpooling and biking also help. If everybody pitches in, we can make a big difference.

I am a strong supporter of going green. I also think that anyone, regardless of whom or where they are, can, or at least can try, to make a difference. If people care a lot about this cause, then together we can achieve our goal and go green!