Identity | Teen Ink

Identity

By DebonaireDon SILVER, Boston, Massachusetts
DebonaireDon SILVER, Boston, Massachusetts

They say what’s in a name?
I say nothing for my name does not define me.

You see I am so much more than this title they have given me.

So much more than this empty word they have told me I would be labeled with for life.

Honestly my name means nothing to me for I am so much more.

My name does not speak for me.

It doesn’t know my pain or struggle.

It doesn’t tell of my ambition or dreams or lack of self esteem.

It doesn’t know my apparent talent with these words that just seem to flow like a river from my

mouth gushing out rapid thoughts and streaming emotions.

It doesn’t know the words I speak in rhythmic beats and my beating heart that makes my poetry street.

It doesn’t know about the hands that crafted these words forming syllables and verbs that seem to curve and swerve like my thoughts.

It doesn’t know about my soul and how I feel like my life is out of control and when I reach out to

somebody I have no hand to hold,

only a pen that becomes a sword that spills my black blood onto these pages so then can feel my rage.

And feel this fire in my soul that burns in my brains and these addictive words that flow like a drug to my vein,

and hoping when I say this it wont be in vain because this is my pain.

My name does not know that I am mental so these words I say are insane and sometimes I cant refrain from saying whats on my mind.

So I spill my thoughts into these lines and these rhymes trigger thoughts like a gun to my head,

but these keep me alive instead of leaving me for dead.

My name does not know that my words seem to fall from my mouth like rain from sky and hit the

pavement and slips from the drain to the gutter,

and I was born from the womb of an incredible mother who knew that I would be much more than my name.

You see my name does not know that I am called by another title called black and because of that people would try to hinder my dreams.

That because of this other label that my name and who I am would not always be considered,

because of my dark skin tone and by the way these words are intoned you can tell that I

do not condone these facts.

My name does not know that I am untamed and I was the bird that spread

its wings because I refused to be caged by ignorance.

My name does not know that at one time because of my intelligence they told me I was not black ,

and I look back and I thought that I ought to have slapped the BLACK off of them.

And you look at me and you see this diverse boy that can converse like a man

and now you understand why my name is not who I am.