I Wish I Was Never Born | Teen Ink

I Wish I Was Never Born

By MadMikeLove BRONZE, Felton, California
MadMikeLove BRONZE, Felton, California
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Wait for the man! He must have a plan!
Show me and make me a smile I can wear!
Me and you, we can make up too.
No use to hate if you're wearing my shoes.
-SikTh

When I was eight years old, I said something awful to my mother. She didn’t deserve it, nor does anyone. I don’t know or remember what brought me to spit such terrible language shoe-stringed together with such absolute absurdity, but I do remember that I tried to apologize. Once you say something so vulgar, though, it’s a ninety degree uphill battle to try and ease whatever doubt, or uncertainty is caused. The pain I caused must have hurt terribly; I remember my mom crying for two hours and not necessarily wanting to speak to me.

When I put such little thought in the words I chose to slither from my vocabulary to nest in her brain, I didn’t think of what she would feel. I only thought of how much I wanted whatever we were talking about to end.

I wonder how that day would’ve gone if I had never said it. Would we have all eaten dinner together with the family and laugh with one another because of the kiddie jokes we would’ve told?

I really want to remember why I said it.

This poem is not about the feeling of never being born. It's simply about a repressed memory I have, like a lot of others, perhaps. I wrote it thinking I was going to give it to my mother, but I concluded that it would be unnecessary to bring up such a terrible memory.