A Prayer For Love

My heart longs for love
It’s captured my head.
I pray to God above
When I go to bed.

I pray for somebody
To enter my life.
Someone not too gaudy
To take away the strife.

I pray for somebody
To hold my hand.
To pull me off my knees
To help me stand.

I pray for God
To send down a man.
Who’s not too odd
I’ll search all the land.

I’ll search all the land
For the perfect one
Who’ll hold my hand
Who’ll call me his hon.

Love is the thing
For which I plea.
It can humble a king
When he receives a key.

A key to her heart
Is what I speak of.
It’s like an art
This thing called love.

Everyone wants it
But do they understand?
You can’t back down a bit
You have to stand.

You have to stand
For what you love.
You have to grab their hand
And say “let’s fly like a dove.”

We’ll fly high
Above everyone.
We’ll touch the sky
We’ll reach the sun.

No one can bring you down
When you’re in love.
It’s like a clumsy clown
Trying to catch a swift dove.

Now do you see
Why I want it?
God always hears my plea
He knows when to give it but…..

My heart longs for love
It’s captured my head
I pray to God above
When I go to bed.

Kinzi said...
Mar. 17, 2012 at 8:21 am

This was really quite a good poem! I liked your use of repitition of the first stanza for the last stanza, and I also like the repitition you use for a couple of the important lines, "I'll search all the land" and "You have to stand". The whole concept itself was great, but I feel like the rhyme kinda weakened your poem a little bit... There were a few lines where I feel like you could have conveyed what you were trying to say better but because of the rhyme you had to settle for not as stron... (more »)

beautifulspiritThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Interesting~ In your plea to God you ask for love---something we all pray and wait for. The One, our other half... The reader will relate to this easy with no problem. I like this poem very much~ Great job.

fluterocker015This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 5, 2012 at 1:33 am
Thanks (: it took me a long time to figure out how to word it!!

SuNshiNe007 replied...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 7:53 am
Wow! This is beautiful! I love it! And I love the wording you chose it flows smoothly:) Great Job!

loveissmilesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 1, 2012 at 10:39 am
i absolutely adore the repititiveness that appears at the end and beginning of some of your stanzas! Wonderful idea! :D keep writing. !! :D