Mirrors | Teen Ink

Mirrors

November 18, 2011
By Shealee O&#39Grady BRONZE, Fayetteville, Arkansas
Shealee O&#39Grady BRONZE, Fayetteville, Arkansas
3 articles 2 photos 0 comments

Self image is important to almost everyone.
Appearances mean everything to you.
Being yourself is irrelevant when others are judging, watching with constant curiosity and irritation.

Be honest, every time your eyes fall upon a mirror you glance uncomfortably to make sure you look the right amount of decent for everyone’s crooked expectations.
Unconvinced, jealous, and completely unsatisfied.
Not unsatisfied with yourself really, but unsatisfied with the fine line between hideous and beautiful, because let's face it, you don't make the cut.

See that girl over there? Every time her eyes fall upon a mirror an eerie smile creeps across her face.
Full of herself, conceited, and narcissistic.
She used to be just like you, until ignorance and confidence turned her from humble to arrogant.

Not too long ago there was a girl; she had the same issue as you, just worse. Every time her eyes fell upon a mirror hatred took over her body, spreading like a virus.
She acted like looks meant nothing, but it was just too hard and too much to ask of her after being made fun of day after day.
Depressed, hated, and ready to die.
So she did.



Dig deeper, ask questions, don't judge.
Keep ugly thoughts to yourself and rid yourself of mirrors.
The world will turn from decrepit and vile to something divine and natural like it should be.