I Ride Horses | Teen Ink

I Ride Horses

Just because I ride horses,
Doesn’t mean I just sit on my butt,
Doesn’t mean my horse does all the work,
And doesn’t mean I don’t get exercise from it.

Just because I ride horses,

Doesn’t mean I listen to country music,
Doesn’t mean I wear cowboy boots,
And doesn’t mean I say “Giddy up.”

Just because I ride horses,
Doesn’t mean I like horse races,
Doesn’t mean I am a jockey,
And doesn’t mean I whip my horse.

Why do people think this?
Couldn’t people just ask me about it?
Why do people think this isn’t a sport?
I know it is.

RaenFeatherstone BRONZE, Ottawa, Other

''It's not what was taken from you, it's what you do with what you have left.''

--- Meghan Pearson

I'm a horseback rider as well and quite frankly, some people just don't have a clue what they're talking about! As HorseCrazy said, I would love to see a common city folk try staying on my 17hh standardbred mare when shes being prissy! Trust me, that ain't no comfy ride...! I really wish people would try it before dissing it. Well maybe not riding Lullaby, but horseback riding in general.

And we definitely are not all cowboys and girls prancing around in cowboy boots and checkered shirts just because we ride horses! Turns out alot of rednecked style people have never even been close to a horse.  Stereotypes are just lame.

on Sep. 13 2011 at 6:28 am
Rocinante SILVER, Wexford, Pennsylvania
I like it too. We horseback riding folks have to stick up for our sport! It's mentally a really tough thing because name one other sport where it's you and another animal, one-on-one that have to get along and communicate. I guess dogsledding, but other than that... It's hard because the horse might be in a bad mood or grumpy one day not want to listen (like a kid!) but you still have to find a way to get past it and then there's the whole training thing, I mean my instructor is a trainer and man, I really don't know how she does it taking a little youngster and getting them to the point where they know all the cues and commands. Wow. 

HorseCrazy BRONZE, Davie, Florida

The last person to tell me that riding is not a sport was never seen again. -anonymous

I love this! I mean, I like racing, though, and wear english boots, but I hate county music and I KNOW that an unfit person couldn't stay on a bucking pony (or giant of a horse) bareback. I love this, and anyone who doesn't...----------(Use your imagination)

I don't like when people think that riding horses isn't a sport. Just keep your head held high and don't listen. They don't know what they are talking about.