Child Soldiers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Their eyes tell silent stories.
Stories that would shock even the darkest of hearts.
These eyes have seen worse than some could even dream of.
They’ve seen killing and death, and pain and suffering to extents that can be hard to imagine.
Eyes that should be learning how to read are instead being taught how to fight.
Emotionless eyes are being forced to kill in gruesome ways.
Eyes that seem to have run out of tears, because crying never helped.
Their sobs are unheard, their tears are unseen.
Children who are innocent are being ruined by men who see no hope in their government.
Men who are willing to take advantage of an irreplaceable innocence.
The eyes are deep brown.
A brown so deep you could get lost in it.
Eyes that catch attention for their beauty.
They silently tell of innocence lost and of silent tears cried.
These are the eyes of a child soldier.

writingrox2 said...
this is great. i love the part about how the tears dont matter and the last 2 lines. keep it up! oh yea and please read my articles and give me advice!! :)

ChristySparrow said...
Recently, I read a book called A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah. It vividly describes how Ishmael was forced to become a child soldier and how everyone was killed in it. Ishmael still lives today! Oh, and good job on the poem. Can you read my story and comment on it please? it's called You Don't Understand Me on the writing forum section.

JazzyMyne said...
wow...this is very unique, in my face and shoves the truth before my eyes like a bulldoser. it makes absolute sense and i appreciate that you wrote this and put it up for me to read.

jetblue said...
thia this what every1 needs to do mad me cry

quentin-arehart said...
This reminds me specifically of the holocaust. In my English class, we just finished Night by Elie Wiesel. I think this poem definitely captures the essence of the tragic period of time. A time where we try to understand, but could never, ever comprehend unless we ourselves lived it. My hats off to anyone who survived, this poem and the tragic unspoken stories of those who's lives were cut short. :')

freedomfighter97 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Beautiful!  Thank you for capturing the "eyes" of these innocent children!

RandyA. said...
Feb. 24, 2011 at 9:13 am
This is great. I love this poem. 5 starts to this... keep it up

CarlaA.95 said...
Feb. 24, 2011 at 7:55 am
This is a really good poem, it opened the gstes to my heart and that is really hard to do. When I'm older I would like to help one of these kids and take him/her money and food, and clean water.

shrutimallik said...
Feb. 15, 2011 at 11:51 am

wow this is extremely nice

its nice of how you have portrayed the reality  ......... seems like you are describing a event that took place right in front of your own eyes.

Rasberry919 said...
Wow! I loved your poem. I love how you can touch someone's emotions....Good Job!

Chibbie said...

this is the best Poem i have ever read you definatly deserve a place on this magazine!

WerewolfWriting said...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 8:49 am
Hard and very descriptive. But the topic needed the roughness. Good job and well done for getting published!

Jakethesnake said...
I wish that I could come back and rate this 5 out of 5 everyday! However, I am grounded, so I am not even supposed to be on now. But great job!

DRAGONBADGERZ said...
A powerful emotional poem that makes my heart heavy with sadness. It shows the terror and grit that these people see every day.

ulitim@te said...
I really enjoyed to poem!! I find it funny that I have just completed a story on the same subject:) Honestly (I am not a poet) but I did like it! Especially the 'Eye that should be learning' part

VWordsmith This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
To be honest, it's fairly amateur. Although the topic is a powerful one, I would have liked it if you used a more atypical angle or more sophisticated diction.

mgraves This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Agreed.  I think this is a very powerful subject and one that merits more description.  Particularly in poems, showing is as important as telling.

Alexandrietteia replied...
True...better diction would be key here...overall very powerful and worthwhile though

Nick121 said...
nice very powerful

Kiyoko This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
 This is nice. I especially like "irreplaceable innocence" That's a good line. If you wouldn't mind, I'd appreciate it if you would check out my work!