Child Soldiers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Their eyes tell silent stories.
Stories that would shock even the darkest of hearts.
These eyes have seen worse than some could even dream of.
They’ve seen killing and death, and pain and suffering to extents that can be hard to imagine.
Eyes that should be learning how to read are instead being taught how to fight.
Emotionless eyes are being forced to kill in gruesome ways.
Eyes that seem to have run out of tears, because crying never helped.
Their sobs are unheard, their tears are unseen.
Children who are innocent are being ruined by men who see no hope in their government.
Men who are willing to take advantage of an irreplaceable innocence.
The eyes are deep brown.
A brown so deep you could get lost in it.
Eyes that catch attention for their beauty.
They silently tell of innocence lost and of silent tears cried.
These are the eyes of a child soldier.

JohnnyDeppLover123 said...
Jul. 19, 2010 at 2:01 pm:
BRAVO! i feel all teary now....awesome job! =)

lovetowriteandwatchTV said...
Jul. 19, 2010 at 12:09 pm:

wow tough stuff, good job though, i especially like the ending starting with 'The eyes are deep brown.'

if you read this can you read some of my stories, thanks :))

fireflynight said...
Jul. 19, 2010 at 11:58 am:
This is some intense stuff...I admire how this is written, though. It's really sad how children have to see this kind of stuff. :( They don't really understand it, but they know it's bad, and it hurts them inside.

tianaxbiddy said...
Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:36 am:
it is an amazing peice. i read it and it almost brought a tear to my eyes because this is something thats happenin and i have met ppl who dont care "it is theway of life" or "they chosse this" i have been told................... the sad truth is they r too young to kno

KristaCarlynn replied...
Jul. 13, 2010 at 5:38 am :
I wish to become a doctor and as part of the program, i have to leave for 2 months and go to help in Africa. My cuzzin has already gone and came back last year, she has explained it in many ways, but sometimes, i don't think i can stand the grief of loosing patients so young of age to such horrible diseases that they shouldn't even have to worry about.

Kanchana said...
Jul. 9, 2010 at 4:00 am:

First off I just want to say well done. This topic is close to my heart and still very unknown around the world today.. I am currently writing a story for school based on the same theme of child soldiers and was wondering if I could perhaps use part of it in there...of course with your permission as well as your name mentioned.

Well done.

DiceBaby said...
Jul. 1, 2010 at 12:29 am:
wow there are very few peoms i read that can actually make me cry but this did it

ninjerr said...
Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:04 am:
Wow. That is an amazing poem. Touched my heart. That is definatly going to make me think about these kids when i winge about not being able to eat junk food.

Ellie_Michelle said...
Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:45 am:
Love this!!

kms777 said...
Jun. 8, 2010 at 5:24 pm:
wow!!! incredible!!!! exspecially the last line. it makes you think. which is a great way to end it. i hope youll read some of mine so you can help me with my endings too.

Ninja_Writer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 5, 2010 at 5:26 pm:
this is amazing and inspiring. You are gifted with an intelligent mind- your writing is superb

anythingandeverything said...
Jun. 5, 2010 at 3:05 pm:
this is great. nice job at capturing the devastating situation. I love the line "Eyes that seem to have run out of tears, because crying never helped".

buggzbunnie said...
Jun. 5, 2010 at 11:40 am:
this is reqally good youu tell of kids who have been throgh the worst but are still strong

KaiteyAmber said...
May 31, 2010 at 10:12 am:
If i could rte this more stars i would ... it was amazing ... and it is well explained what the go through ... GREAT JOB !!

Eowyn said...
May 27, 2010 at 2:34 pm:
You are soo right, children who have yet to learn to read and write are being taught to maim and to kill.  I love how you used imagery to emphisize your point.  This poem makes me think!

t-bone1924 said...
May 17, 2010 at 12:45 pm:
i love your passion

happysoul replied...
Nov. 28, 2010 at 5:51 pm :

Your dedication and feeling show in your work. I really like it!

redheadwritehere said...
May 14, 2010 at 11:55 pm:
wow that was reeeally good. I love the concept of telling a story from an innocent view, you should check out my poem called soldiers, it has this same vibe to it.

Aelita said...
May 14, 2010 at 7:05 pm:
Wow! Good job!

memphis_boii95 said...
May 14, 2010 at 6:24 pm:
Excellent poem is this a reference to the children in Uganda? Have you seen the documentry Invisible Children? Check out my poems too I have a similar one on the Holocaust.

Warning: Unknown: open(/var/lib/php5/sess_vv0o8l1sb78rtlf1k5c2jp1ee0, O_RDWR) failed: No space left on device (28) in Unknown on line 0 Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/var/lib/php5) in Unknown on line 0