A Toast, to Renewal

One slave child flayed by the chilly words
“You own naught but your name”
Who planned an exit through the womb
From which the poets came
He seized his leather collar, at dawn
And still bound in chains, did pray
Turning his sunburned body
To embrace the coming day

The wicked manufacture kings
In bodies of blood and salt
But there’s glory in the sunrise
The weary farmer
It exalts

I drowned in pools of stagnant peace
And such a death was sweet
To trade air for the Chalice
Christ’s body left, to eat
I abandoned the rhythm of my heart
For the trumpets of the sea
Engraved on the teeth of the dragon—
A wry apology

As Spring, so lovely, tore into
The crispy silk of curled cocoons
Revealing fire and crescent moons
“Behold,” her honey lips called out
Unto the basin of the morning sky
And with a fluttering of wings
“At last— a butterfly!”

An-eloquent-leafThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 18, 2012 at 8:03 am
"But there’s glory in the sunrise/The weary farmer/It exalts" - I shall never look at a sunrise the same way again. Ah, they are quite exalting, aren't they? So beautiful...and they happen to occur every day :)

The last stanza especially intrigued me, going from slavery and bondage in the beginning, but finishing with freedom and wings - butterflies! - in the end. Another exemplary poem, my Feathery Bard - why am I not surprised? :)

bpjrobert said...
This is excellent. You are a wonderful poet.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Many thanks, you Child of the World.

savetheplanet said...
I like your vision of time and rebirth.  Very cool.  I have to admit I did get lost in the middle but for the most I understood what you were saying.  Don't change it though!  It's just my inferior intelligence. ;)

Nah, your intelligence isn't inferior! The second stanza, I thought, was a bit hazy; and I wish I could fix that. Does it ever bother you that we can't edit our pieces?

savetheplanet replied...
UGH!  It's the only thing I really dislike about Teenink.  It's so annoying to submit something, then realize that you left a huge mistake in there and it sounds ridiculous, except you can't change it without deleting the article and all the comments along with it.

IamtheshyStargirl said...

Did it help? 

Beautifully gorgeous.

The colors of brown, sepia, and honey, possibly even in that order. Sprinkled with droplets of green, gold, white, pink, and blue. A dash of red catches the eye unawares. 

I seem to like last stanzas more frequently lately. What could that mean?

(The words come eventually, even if you have to wait a bit.)

Did what help?

What a glowing description, you shining lady of rainbow colors!

Hmm. A difficult question. There's a substance to the end, just as there is to the beginning and the middle. It can be the substance of death, of evening, of finality, of continuity, or the predecessor of renewal. Perhaps you are allowing yourself to be carried by the poems up to the tipping point, when you are ready to take a might leap! A joyous thing, for an end. Like a phoenix.

Indeed they ... (more »)

IamtheshyStargirl replied...
Did the poem help you to feel your life going on, the good at the end of the depressing or deflating?

The last stanza, as often happens now, was written first. It came to me on a morning where I was feeling very depressed, and I feel like it came from the morning. So yes, the poem reached into my soul, and its fingers gave my heart a little hug.

I went outside to see the half-moon last night, but it was hiding behind the trees. I called out, but it was silent.

IamtheshyStargirl replied...

You couldn't even see her glow? 

Heart hugs are always the very best. 

I could see her glow, but not her form. What made me lament was that I couldn't hear her answer. I usually have long talks with her, especially when she becomes the Silver Orb every month, but she answered me not.

Aderes18 said...

OK, I'm lost, so how it come it goes from slave to I? I the slave? If so, yay! If not, that what's supposed to happen? 

PS: Can Boosflash join the circle?

The slave child does not necessarily need to be the "I," but you're the master of the poem when you read it, so you decide. :)

'Course! A delightful individual to say in the least. Pity, though, I haven't heard from him/her in a frightfully long time.

Aderes18 replied...
Sept. 4, 2011 at 12:04 am
Your poem reminds me of Maya Angelou's poetry,because her poetry is also how African- Americans had a renaissance and how they rised from oppression and slavery to become the people they are today. :) Cool! :)

Aderes18 replied...
Sept. 4, 2011 at 12:05 am
It's a beautiful poem. Very well done, as always. :) Last time I heard from him was 2 weeks ago.

Oh really? I haven't read her work in a while, but she's a wonderful poet.

Let's hope he/she makes a quick return to the land of Teenink soon.