I Can Teach You How To Fly

When you perch on the sunset, wishing to paint
The drifting clouds in their infinite grace
Is the art not already
In their reflection:
The awe in your face?

And when the air is thick with darkness
In the hours before dawn
From where do the fireflies
Get their glow
To flicker out
And flicker on?

How can God be in an infant?
And a man inside his heart?
Why do years pass in the moment
When brothers part?

Have you tasted the night
When it’s freshly sliced
By a silent, white
Moonbeam?
Do you realize that your visions are real
And the days are all a dream?

Do you weep when the droplets of joy
Trickle from your hand?
Can you leap into the chilly lake
To let the boat sail on, unmanned?

Can you read the scripture in the sand?
And say a prayer before the seas?
Can you forget you have a body
And flutter in the breeze?

Do you need to close your shining eyes
To finally begin to breathe?
Will you listen to the Raven
When he whispers the word
‘Believe’?

So, you silver-eyed poetess
You daughter of the stars
You reacher for the horizon
You dreamer from afar

The answers are written inside you
And as the mute bird, suddenly, sings
When you read the letters
On your soul
You will come across your wings

And between loving
And hoping
And creating and dying
And knowing
And guessing
And laughing and crying
You will discover
That you’re already
Flying

An-eloquent-leaf This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
"Have you tasted the night
When it’s freshly sliced
By a silent, white
Moonbeam?"

Yes, yes I have - and it was quite scrumptious. My bed is positioned right next to one of my windows, which is at the same level, so often during a restless night I gaze outside. One thing I love doing is just laying outside on the grass at night, looking at the stars, listening to the frogs chirp, feeling the midnight breeze...

Anyway, quite a lovely poem, my Feathery Bard... (more »)

RedFeather said...
Again, your poems speak straight to me, captivating me in the intricately woven lines. Whoever you wrote this poem for is lucky indeed, and while words of silver flutter down upon eager ears like birds, even more beautiful is the soul of gold which wrote those words.

The Silent Raven replied...
I told myself I wouldn't go on Teenink anymore, but after reading all of your comments, I resolved to reply to at least a few of them. You seemed to have joined the small number of people who take the time to actually read my work, and for that I am grateful, Red Feather. I am much luckier to know her; through this poem I tried to give something back, you know?

Rayne said...
Nov. 25, 2011 at 12:28 am
Anyone who gets a poem that amazing written for them is lucky.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

I'm luckier by far to know her, and to hear her poems. :)

Thanks again for your compliments...

savetheplanet replied...
Silver-eyed poetess, I like that description XD  Even though I know it wasn't written for me.

thetruthawaits94 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
You and your writing is blowing my mind right now. That is all I have to say.... Besides... This is perfect!!!!!!

Ha, that's quite enough to say. ;)

BoosflashThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
you do so welly know how to murder the monkey. are we not captivated by the last few lines of the last stanza? i do love the idea of one coming across his wings. i am also loving the fourth stanza. je t'aime captain!!!!

Oh dear. I didn't mean to murder the monkey; I only meant to transform him by reading a few of my verses.

BoosflashThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
well I guess you could say that is what I meant

I can't believe it; is it that our hero/heroine Boosflash has returned after all of these dark ages?

. replied...
It is that I am being reunited with my long lost Ave of Aves. My tears, do behold.

Pretty tears, pretty tears. Know that the bird is weeping as well.

Aderes18 said...
Aug. 2, 2011 at 11:41 am

Wow, this is so beautiful! :)

So very beautiful. 

Wait, is the poem dedicated to me? Or to Iamtheshystargirl. If it's her, I'm fine. :) 

Ooh, thanks very much.

I had told Stargirl that I would write her a poem about 'how to go about finding her wings' a while ago, so I was referring to her in the author's comment box. And I'd be delighted to write you one, if you'd give me a subject to go on! :)

Aderes18 replied...

Oh, OK. :)

It's not something that I want to ask of someone. If you want to, do it. If you don't, don't. 

Mmm. Alrighty then.

IamtheshyStargirl said...
Aug. 2, 2011 at 11:13 am

I flew last night; I also dreamed an idea; something of butterflies and God's love. I awoke sad that the idea itself was forgotten,  but also with the hope that someday I can remember or find it again.

You know so much of what is in my heart. The gift is recieved with thirst, and treasured with joy and delight. I eagerly await the rose and gold sunrise of the day when my truest dreams become my reality.

I wish you could see the gladness spread across my birdlike features and drop from my slowly blinking eyes. How did it feel, to fly?

It sounds like a beautiful dream. I have always held that the truest of dreams and of ideas will always return; so that nothing is permanantly forgotten. Do tell me if you remember.

I am quite happy that the gift is so well received; it was a joy to create and to hand over.