Forgive and Forget | Teen Ink

Forgive and Forget

April 13, 2011
By Mickee BRONZE, Yorktown Heights, New York
Mickee BRONZE, Yorktown Heights, New York
4 articles 1 photo 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
Erica Albright (Rooney Mara): "You are going to go through life thinking that girls don't like you because you're a nerd. And I want you to know from the bottom of my heart that that won't be true. It'll be because you're an asshole."

Mark Zuckerberg: "I think if your clients want to sit on my shoulders and call themselves tall, they have the right to give it a try, but there's no requirement that I enjoy sitting here listening to people lie. You have part of my attention - you have the minimum amount. The rest of my attention is back at the offices of Facebook, where my colleagues and I are doing things that no one in this room, including and especially your clients, are intellectually or creatively capable of doing. Did I adequately answer your condescending question?

"You're not the same as you were before, You were much more...muchier...you've lost your muchness."
I feel like I just found out my favorite love song was written about a sandwich.


It was long ago,
But my heart still aches,
Withering, day by day.

With every knock on the door,
my heart races.
With every creaking floor,
a shiver runs down my spine.
With every hearing of the word family,
my eyes flutter, replaying horror memories like a broken record.
Over, and over, and over again.

Before the hate.
Before the hell.
Before the Holocaust.

Now, their sweet voices ring through my head.
Every night, in every dream. I hear them.
Sometimes a sweet lullaby, other times their piercing screams.
I wake up, sweating, panting, crying.

How can I forgive?
How can I forget,
When the people I love,
will never come back?


The author's comments:
These are my feelings on life after, for those who survived the Holocaust.