Red Rose of Stillness | Teen Ink

Red Rose of Stillness

April 18, 2011
By AshleeLanai BRONZE, Rock Springs, Wyoming
AshleeLanai BRONZE, Rock Springs, Wyoming
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Though she seemed precious like a flower she was quietly drowning in a sea of sorrow.
Many hidden silences shouted through her mind.
Her eyes gazed at the reflection in the mirror at the stranger who stared back.
Just outside the door she could hear them talking about her, about the person they wanted her to be.
She placed her face under the faucet to feel the cold water cover her face.
After drying off she reached for her perfume which she sprayed having the sweet smell make her feel refreshed.
Clenching a piece gum tightly in between her teeth caused from the unease of returning to the reality, the taste of mint flooded her mouth.
She had forgotten what it was like to taste sunshine.
She’d lost her memories of Maddi Thomas back in Evansville, Indiana playing out on the swing-set during summer in their neighborhood park.
Neither of them liked to swing that much.
Quiet superstitions in her head are hidden by the fake smiles painted on her face.
Getting ‘blitzed’ was her solution to feeling alive though she was only hurting herself.
Her life was dark making the world a dangerous place.
But in her mind she kept thinking however long the night, the dawn will break.
The red rose of stillness sat on the table dying slowly like the fire inside her soul.
You could say she was just as full of life as a corpse buried six feet below.
Throwing her arms up she reached into the sky and tried to grab a fleck of sunlight but she could never quite grasp it.
In her eyes she saw the girl falling to pieces in such a way she could never be mended.
She will close her eyes tonight and pray for the strength to see tomorrow.
She has spent so much time on the road in hopes of finding a world colored more than in black and white.
But the bitter realization of losing everything she once had is what she has held onto for so long.
Quando tutto fatto verso essere rotto giusto bisogno tu verso sapere chi Sono







(When everything’s meant to be broken I just want you to know who I am)
For when dawn finally breaks the heavens are reaching out for her, for this fallen angel.
Through the darkness and through the pain, it was the lies she held inside that kept her so cleverly disguised.


The author's comments:
This poem was written for an AP English class I am currently taking using the 20 step poem recipe guideline.