Epitaphs and Clichés This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

I am a writer of epitaphs and clichés love songs,
My fingers are covered with ink and my body with bruises.
Look past my first impression and I can be your sundress bride and you my pinstriped lover.

My voice may not be beautiful, but it’s all that I have,
And the butterflies don’t flock to my outstretched fingers.
Look past my crooked smile,
And we can be a vision in tie-dye and high-top sneakers.

I know I’m imperfect, and not even in the way that you like,
My shoes don’t click right and my eyes rarely close.
Look past my blood-rimmed fingernails,
And we can sit on the street corner and play the guitar.

I am an omen of awkward moments and broken pencils,
The grass I walk through never grows as quickly.
Look past my out-of-place laughter,
And we can be the reason the other opens his windows.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the June 2008 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

sarahhh said...
Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:05 am
this is really gooooooooooood. i didn't want it to end. i love it

bandagedisappear This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:55 am
This is a well-written poem, and aside from that, I loved it! You don't go heavy on the imagery, but it's just enough to get a really beautiful picture in my mind.

Boosflash This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
hmmm... heavy on the imagery? whats wrong with going heavy on the imagery?

bandagedisappear This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I like detail, but some poets speak like Hallmark greeting cards rather than writers. You know, cheesy things like: "oceans pull the tides of my love nearer to the whispering clouds of beautiful death." But imagery, if executed nicely, can be truly beautiful, and not in the Hallmark greeting card way. :)

oh that was funny. thanx. I was starting to get worried about my stuff. I've been told I'm an illogical writer. too many hyperboles I think. you're right, it was well written.

SolvoAnimus said...
Mar. 19, 2010 at 3:33 am
its not the person who sees your flaws...
but the person who loves those flaws..

epcelia said...
cutee poem(; ILOVEIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 'tis very good, i wish i was so talented with a pencil and paper or a computer/keyboard whatever. but i like your name by the way ;D

katielynn21 said...
Nov. 16, 2009 at 7:19 am
i loved this it is simply beautiful.

crazypoets said...
So good! I posted this as my fb status!

xxJustxxMe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is really great! I love your prespective. It feel fresh

lovehate29 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This piece is outstanding. I loved it. The message you convey in it, is so powerful. Also, this piece is one that is very creative and beautiful. Great job!

alayapoetgirl said...
This is so amazing. It was a lot better when I read it over all. And the message you convey is outstanding. This poem keeps me thinking........

Fangz said...
Interesting and different, with a good message and unique imagery. Its a decent poem, but with a little fine-tuning (maybe adding sound devices or a stanza tie of some sort) it would be excellent. *claps* keep writing!

Amanda N. said...
Wow. Bravo. ;)

xXsmileXx This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 29, 2009 at 12:33 am
It's different. It's interesting...i like it! I love the message and everything about this poem. Good work!

firstsnowfalls This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
wow...very deep and powerful. i love it.

Renaissance said...
Apr. 16, 2009 at 12:09 am
Very sweet. It shows how you can look past flaws and be happy. Bravi to you! It is so hard to find a wonderful yet happy poem.

AndThisIsReal This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I think this is awesome.
It's charming in a really quirky cute way.

Nia G. said...
Mar. 4, 2009 at 12:32 am
that was really insanely good lol...you twisted words in a way that showed amazing emotion and sincerity...shows that imperfection isn't always the right kind of imperfection anyway

Paulina B. said...
Feb. 23, 2009 at 12:11 am
this is deep dude, really deep! keep up the good work!