Broken Toys | Teen Ink

Broken Toys

October 4, 2010
By nsn_495 GOLD, Manteca, California
nsn_495 GOLD, Manteca, California
13 articles 41 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
Never frown, for you never know when someone is falling in love with your smile(:


My family is like a broken toy.
Torn apart and disfunctional.
My dad is the screws, who tried his best to keep us together.
But in the end, his best just wasn't good enough.
So he gave up, and watched, as we all slowly but surely fell apart.
My mother is the paint, appearing to be unaffected and bright.
When in reality, she's more tarnished than you would ever believe.
Proving, that things aren't always as they seem to be.
My brothers are the main structure, clinging to one another for support.
Although their relationships aren't always full proof, they're held together by an unbreakable bond.
Always able to rely on each other in times of need.
I am the shattered pieces of plastic, scattered every which way.
Broken beyond repair.
Bewildered by my surroundings, uncapable of pulling myself together.
Whispering how things were almost perfect...
But almost perfect, isn't the same as perfect is it?


The author's comments:
I was required to write a family metaphor poem in my language arts class. I sat there for the longest time, unable to find an object to compare my family to. While most kids wrote about their families being trees or flowers even, I could think of nothing. Then it hit me. I was trying to find something beautiful and nice to write about, but I couldn't since my family could never compare to the beauty of a flower. As sad as it seems, not all families are perfect. And even though everyone else was writing of how wonderful their families are I couldn't just make something up. so I decided to be honest with my writing and my family. After much thought, this here, is the result.