The Lost Generation This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Oh why have we settled in the unquiet darkness,
where the noise of the silence overwhelms our hearts?
And we fall apart –
the sun sets and it rises –
we make shapes of ourselves no one can see.
Oh why are we lost in these tears
if we’ve forgotten how to cry?
If absence makes the heart grow fonder
can we hold on much longer?
We are burning in a drought of faith,
unnoticing as the stars are earnestly shining,
desperately bleeding light.
Oh how ironically hopeless
is every star’s forgotten fight,
for we are just uselessly drowning
under the weight,
under the honesty of the unspoken.
Oh the noise of the silence overwhelms our hearts.
I believe we are skillfully crafted
inexplicable accidents,
and our hero – the potter –
is too late.

RosePetal519 said...
Purely amazing.  You really get it. We've lost sight of everything that is important and worth fighting for.  You've inspired me to fight harder for a better tomorrow, cause it may not be to late after all. . .
jacobmhkim replied...
I disagree in the meaning of the poem. The ending itself, "is too late" is the opposite of inspirational. I believe that the poet is saying that our generation is hopeless and will never be saved, which is another thought that I disagree on.
RosePetal519 replied...
jacobmhkim I totally understand what you're saying.  That's probably what was originally intended when the poem was written (though we can never truly know what was going on in the author's head). I guess I see it as a realization of the lows of our generation, but in a way that makes them sound so terrible that we want to go out in fix it. We want to prove that we are not "accidents". 
freeflow23 said...
Jul. 7, 2011 at 11:18 am
I was a bit confused about what you were trying to say (but that's just me).
qui133 said...
Jun. 15, 2011 at 11:46 am
i hate to use meaningless descriptive adjectives to describe something this...well, i'm going to have to use adjectives: vivid and powerful: if words can spill into the mind like light, these do.
inkblot13 said...
Jun. 15, 2011 at 10:24 am
this is relly well worded, I think my favorite part is "our hero-the potter- is too late" Nice job, and keep writing! (PS, check out some of my work??)
marie2698 said...
this poem is amazing your very talented i posted some poems on teenink too my friends say there amazing too but i don't think so at all can you check them out for me and tell me what you think???
Book_addict said...

This is AWESOME!

dickoblskigomer said...
May 24, 2011 at 10:47 am
HAHAHAHAHA this poem sucks!!!
NikkiNitrogen replied...
Jun. 15, 2011 at 3:06 am
dont say this your jerk there is nothing tht called for you to be like this except your overwelming desire to be immature and screw around when oothers wish tobe serious
Phantomlover95 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This was a wonderful poem. You are obviously a greatly talented writer! Great job! Maybe could you explain what inspired you to write it?
CrazySquid said...
Speachless :)
rainillusions said...
Where is the "More by This Author" button??? I have seriously read this poem several times a day for about two weeks and I am still rendered speechless everytime. I love your use of oxymorons, especially the "noise of silence" part. They just make the poem so much more profound and personal because real emotions are so much more than just happy, sad or angry. You've really captured the depth of true pain. I love it! Write more so I can read more!
PoeticDork said...
I've never been on a teen writers website but it's nice knowing people feel the same way you do about writing
purplechoc said...
it made me cry.........the second i read the first line my eyes were stuck to the screen
emlm13 said...
Apr. 2, 2011 at 9:16 am
That's amazing. I love the way you use your words to describe emotions.
feetwithwings said...
That almost made me cry. best poetry i've seen on here
Basketball23 said...
This has such a smooth rhythm to it.  It flows together.  Great work!
SummerDays11 said...
Wow! You really captured what all of us feel inside.
IPlayCOD said...
Feb. 25, 2011 at 9:42 am
This poem flows smoothly from line to line.  Plus, I like the watch.
Farmer said...
Feb. 25, 2011 at 9:40 am
I think this is a good poem.  It used alot of showing.  It was wrote very well.