The Lost Generation This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Oh why have we settled in the unquiet darkness,
where the noise of the silence overwhelms our hearts?
And we fall apart –
the sun sets and it rises –
we make shapes of ourselves no one can see.
Oh why are we lost in these tears
if we’ve forgotten how to cry?
If absence makes the heart grow fonder
can we hold on much longer?
We are burning in a drought of faith,
unnoticing as the stars are earnestly shining,
desperately bleeding light.
Oh how ironically hopeless
is every star’s forgotten fight,
for we are just uselessly drowning
under the weight,
under the honesty of the unspoken.
Oh the noise of the silence overwhelms our hearts.
I believe we are skillfully crafted
inexplicable accidents,
and our hero – the potter –
is too late.

MoonCake said...
Oct. 3, 2011 at 7:15 am
Wow! Such a wonderful poem! Great job. :D Please view mine as well.

AbhiYNWA4lifeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sept. 11, 2011 at 5:27 am
What a poem !! Really NIce!

Drewby said...
It's a truly beautifully written poem and it gives new meaning to term 'poetic dread'. Therefore, I have nothing bad to say about this poem.

cookiegirl said...
Aug. 20, 2011 at 2:15 am
Wow your poem is amazing. Emotions are described in a interesting way. Keep it up and you can be sucessful:)

palalandrea said...

I love the uniqueness of this poem. Especially this one line..."oh the noise of the silence overwhelms our hearts." I love this description. 

KimenSnow said...
You are right, and this is elegantly written. However perhaps the potter isn't too late afterall.

luvkittehz8P This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 29, 2011 at 10:23 am
Wow. Just, wow.

dodson said...

great job. i had the same thing on my mind the past years

RosePetal519 said...
Purely amazing.  You really get it. We've lost sight of everything that is important and worth fighting for.  You've inspired me to fight harder for a better tomorrow, cause it may not be to late after all. . .

H0peF1ames replied...
I COMPLETELY AGREE! :)

jacobmhkim replied...
I disagree in the meaning of the poem. The ending itself, "is too late" is the opposite of inspirational. I believe that the poet is saying that our generation is hopeless and will never be saved, which is another thought that I disagree on.

RosePetal519 replied...
jacobmhkim I totally understand what you're saying.  That's probably what was originally intended when the poem was written (though we can never truly know what was going on in the author's head). I guess I see it as a realization of the lows of our generation, but in a way that makes them sound so terrible that we want to go out in fix it. We want to prove that we are not "accidents". 

freeflow23 said...
Jul. 7, 2011 at 11:18 am
I was a bit confused about what you were trying to say (but that's just me).

qui133 said...
Jun. 15, 2011 at 11:46 am
i hate to use meaningless descriptive adjectives to describe something this...well, i'm going to have to use adjectives: vivid and powerful: if words can spill into the mind like light, these do.

inkblot13 said...
Jun. 15, 2011 at 10:24 am
this is relly well worded, I think my favorite part is "our hero-the potter- is too late" Nice job, and keep writing! (PS, check out some of my work??)

marie2698 said...
this poem is amazing your very talented i posted some poems on teenink too my friends say there amazing too but i don't think so at all can you check them out for me and tell me what you think???

Book_addict said...

PLEASE!!!

WRITE MORE!!

This is AWESOME!

dickoblskigomer said...
May 24, 2011 at 10:47 am
HAHAHAHAHA this poem sucks!!!

NikkiNitrogen replied...
Jun. 15, 2011 at 3:06 am
dont say this your jerk there is nothing tht called for you to be like this except your overwelming desire to be immature and screw around when oothers wish tobe serious

Phantomlover95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This was a wonderful poem. You are obviously a greatly talented writer! Great job! Maybe could you explain what inspired you to write it?