The Lost Generation This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Oh why have we settled in the unquiet darkness,
where the noise of the silence overwhelms our hearts?
And we fall apart –
the sun sets and it rises –
we make shapes of ourselves no one can see.
Oh why are we lost in these tears
if we’ve forgotten how to cry?
If absence makes the heart grow fonder
can we hold on much longer?
We are burning in a drought of faith,
unnoticing as the stars are earnestly shining,
desperately bleeding light.
Oh how ironically hopeless
is every star’s forgotten fight,
for we are just uselessly drowning
under the weight,
under the honesty of the unspoken.
Oh the noise of the silence overwhelms our hearts.
I believe we are skillfully crafted
inexplicable accidents,
and our hero – the potter –
is too late.

ashlynn17 said...
today at 9:42 am:
The poem was beautiful!I enjoyed the Greek mythology interperted in to it. :)

HellishRequiemThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 19 at 7:34 pm:
i dont know, i would think it is referring to god in a vague way, not a certain religious figure

jakefromstatefarm said...
Feb. 12 at 10:25 am:
agree

meowkitty69 said...
Feb. 12 at 10:23 am:
no just no

BeanzoinalinThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 11 at 6:53 pm:
Congrats on getting published

OnyxBean2019This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 21 at 2:05 pm:
I LOVE THIS POEM!!! It is beautiful! (I like the potter statement)  :)

Alycia L. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Overall the entire poem is just beautiful. I love the metaphors used (also, a few key phrases like "bleeding light" and "settled in unquiet darkness" stood out to me). Well done.

Mr._PoetryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
wow! I like how the author kinda related to greek mythology of how human were created. this poem leave me thinking If that is our case right now, if we are being weigh down by our last generation.

estucker1998 said...
Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:36 am:
LOVED this! Especially the last verse "inexplicable accidents, and our hero- the potter- is too late" Perfect :)

bellariptorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:28 am:
"Inexplicable accident". Wow that is amazing! 

MikaylaT said...
Nov. 4, 2012 at 9:13 am:
This poem made me think, and it left a curious feeling inside of me. I absolutely loved it.

GhrenqiThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Intriguing! One of the good factors about writing vaguely is that the reader can interpret it anyway they wish. That's something that many writers seem to find difficult when writing something, be it a poem, story, or review. Great job.

ChobaniLuvinPenguin This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 2, 2012 at 11:11 am:
Such a beautiful poem! It flows perfectly and can be interpreted differently, which makes it even more unique. It really makes you think and the regret in it is almost haunting... Just one minor change- "I believe" is not needed in the end. Just a small detail, the poem is perfect otherwise! Amazing job! :)

Kavon said...
Nov. 2, 2012 at 7:22 am:
Beautiful is this poem.

HappySappy said...
May 10, 2012 at 7:54 pm:
I like how your poem can have many different interpretations by different people.

Watermelonduck719 said...
Mar. 27, 2012 at 12:55 pm:

What do you mean by

"and our hero – the potter –
is too late."?

I would really like to know what you are trying to say in those last lines!

pianokeysevie replied...
May 10, 2012 at 11:01 am :
same here!!

hislittledramaqueen replied...
May 10, 2012 at 3:22 pm :
"The Potter" is probably refering to Jesus Christ. Maybe she thinks it's too late for Jesus to save us-- however, he already has! Anyway, it's clear she is displaying a lack of faith, which I think is very sad. These are just my thoughts..

OwlEyes6 said...
Mar. 27, 2012 at 11:23 am:
Amazing job! I really loved the words you chose and it flowed just right!

HMoreau said...
Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:23 am:
I like it. I'm curious to know what it means. Good job.