How I see me | Teen Ink

How I see me

September 1, 2007
By Anonymous

How you see me Who I will be Welcome to my fortress. I bid you be safe, these walls made of ice easily break. Within these frosty walls lay the being which is me, but do not fret for this is not what I will always be. Welcome to my fortress I bid you be safe, these walls made of ice easily break. Trust none of the riddles laid in place until you once again set foot in this space. Look at the picture before your eyes as though youÕre seeing it for the first time. Blue eyes, brown hair and just short enough for all to stare. The image before you I will once again state is the reflection of me today. Welcome to my fortress. I bid you be safe, walls made of ice easily break. My confidence just as brittle, each failure in my life makes the walls thinner and thinner. So watch your step, helmet tight because in this place there are only diversions and dislikes. Welcome to my fortress. I bid you be safe, walls made of ices easily break. Through these transparent walls each twist and turn hides my flaws. Turn to the left to see my empty room, not a soul to be seen only one object to be held. A little white bear given by a friend, the only friend, who escaped from my walls, and went off to college only weeks ago. Turn to the right and be amazed at the site: wall to wall trophies small and tall but theses give no pride for they have become old and the dream of victory has run cold. YouÕd think a lost dream would be saddening but there is another that could bring tears to any being. I was self-consumed in a sport that grew old. School was ignored. Another dream is extinguished. One less person will save a life: poor puppy, poor kitty and all I had to do was attempt to be me, go that distance, be all I could be, but now UC DavisÕ Vet School will have to go on without me. Welcome to my fortress I bid you be safe. These walls made of ices easily break. These transparent walls can be seen by all but do they see me as me? Do they see I left my friends to be dedicated to a dream that will never be? Do they see me as spoiled arrogant and mean? Do they see I am unsure of every decision I make? Even this poem is rattling the mind, making me fret. Do they see a lack of effort, a bit of trouble, not to be acknowledged? Is this how they see me? Or do they see my true identity? Welcome to my fortress I bid you be safe. These walls made of ices easily break. Now let the unseen be seen. Let the true me be me. I know who I am now and I know what I want to be: whether it be hockey or vet school, my future is set by me. Me and my husband, out by the sea, we will live in serenity. I went into my fortress unsure and green, almost a peasant it seems, but sure enough and soon enough ill be walking out a knight and all my dreams will become a reality.