My dumpy winter poem | Teen Ink

My dumpy winter poem

By OtherOne BRONZE, Baldwin, Kansas
OtherOne BRONZE, Baldwin, Kansas

Lain out on the rough concrete, their eyes followed the featureless serenity of the overcast drapery that composed the morning sky, lost in the putrid existence reminiscent of the murky mass above. Living their lives in the monotone of disinterest, well aware of the cancerous depression of these late winter weeks. The grass was damp and glowing deep green, infecting the world around it with it’s swelling hue, humid and overbearing, the world around us seemed to press and mold us as it would clay to emerge in new form for the sunnier months. With our blank stares we lived thoughtlessly in waiting for the more blessed days of spring, where life was born again, and love was discovered anew. But until then, we were only the undead.Awaiting the ignorance that accompanied happiness, well aware that ignorance, was and is bliss.

I was really hating winter at this point. Even if this is dumpy i like it.

SophiaCross SILVER, Plattsburgh, New York

To love, to be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and vulgar disparity of the life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never to forget.”

This isn't just about winter, and that's why I like it. There is more depth than meets the eye.