Eight’s Actually an Unlucky Number, but They Won’t Tell You That This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

We are filled with wanting too much--- much more than we could ever attain. And then letdowns, and bad days. “I could never write a book,”--- and certainly not in something as beautiful as that thing you gave me.

Sometime, when everything’s dead and it don’t matter anymore, we’ll look back on it all. How many times we spent just looking at people with balloons, and wanting those damn balloons, and never getting them.

The water isn’t blue--- wasn’t blue--- when we were little and did not comprehend bloody knees, greasy hair, uneven nails and wanting to be pretty. It was just fine--- fine by me--- if you rearranged the furniture. If you vacuumed the floor without telling me.

If
We
Stay
Here,

We
Will
Die.

And now I’ve grown attached to these things and I feel used and heated when you do things without telling me--- why couldn’t you have just told me?! Why?! Submerged ourselves in bathtubs (with too much water) and pretended that everything was right again, and our worries consisted of cutting down trees and burying birds that slammed into our window--- and oh, the guilt! If this window hadn’t been so clean; if only I hadn’t been so blind to sticking my life into someone else’s, like a needle, or the edge of a table around a sharp corner.

I am
So
Sorry
For what I
Did
To you.

You can have blue oceans and balloons. You can have the world, if you want it.
(And marriage--- marriage is a silly concept to have in your mind when burying birds.)

windswift This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
such a dark poem, but it is a perfect reflection of life, and not what very many poeple would prefer to focus on, but that is where the simple brilliance comes from, the fact that it shines a light on what is sought to be avoided at all cost, perfect.  nothing could be better than the truth that is hidden behind others fear of it, others fear of the hurt and pain that has come and will come in the future, they do not wish to face it, but you have, you are a brave and lighthearted soul, of r... (more »)

StrangeJade This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

This.

Is beautiful.

Why is this not in the magazine. Why has nobody else written about this beautiful poem. Why am I not putting question marks after these sentences. I do not know and it does not matter. Your writing is pure amazingness.

Zildjian said...

This 

Is 

Amazing. 

I just got kicked in the gut by this poem. Wow. Thank you. 

FreakyEyed This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank you so much... I was in a really dark place when I wrote this. My first heartbreak, and the first heartbreak I inflicted. Thank you for reading it. =)