Synesthesia of a Song | Teen Ink

Synesthesia of a Song

The notes on the page are a language within themselves. A language of purity and darkness; of passion and of grace; of love and of hate. They cascade with elegance along the parallel lines; black stems rising up and down, creating a euphonious melody; a universal language.
I strike the keys with such passion, letting my emotions pour out from within me.
Each composer has a distinct style and each song has a distinct color.
Chopin’s Raindrop Prelude is a true green. The notes seem to pitter-patter right off the page and create an easy, gentle melody, as calming as rain on a late April morning.
Tchaikovsky’s Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies is bubble-gum pink. The notes are short and staccato and the rhythm is choppy. It unlocks the hidden world of our childhood fantasies, our dreams, and our happiness; playful with the slightest taste of mischief.
Piazolla’s Libertango is fire-engine red. The notes are struck with an immense crescendo, emphasizing a world of passion and intrigue. It is a song filled with energy, love, heat, passion, and desire, as wild as the blazing sun.
Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata is midnight blue. The notes are smooth and legato, illustrating the stillness and tranquility of nighttime. It is played slowly and softly, creating a serene mood that puts an individual into a deep and peaceful sleep; a gentle lullaby.
Joplin’s Maple Leaf Rag is sunny yellow. The notes are syncopations and are played quite swiftly. The song seems to bounce happily and quickly, like a joyous festival or party, resonating a friendliness and delightfulness as warm as the August sun.
Pachelbel’s Canon is a deep violet. The notes are played slowly and later transform into a fast and steady pace, with all of the confidence in the world. It is a song of magnificence; a royal and majestic combination that creates a prestigious mood.
Every song is a different shade that creates the perfect rainbow.
Our emotions are described in every tone, in every hue.
They capture the essence of our soul, the color of our character.