Broken Friendship

Broken Friendship

Do you remember the crayons, pencils, paper, and paste?
Those times together we didn’t waste?
We were always together, never apart.
All of those years are forever in my heart.

Yes, we had fights and small tiffs as we grew.
Somehow I knew our friendship wasn’t yet through.
Of course, we’d find a way to make up in the end.
After all, how could I stay mad at my best friend?

But what happened to all of the secrets and love that we shared?
What happened to that strong friendship that was ever so rare?
I could weep just thinking that we’ve grown apart this way!
I can’t bear the hurt I suffer each day.

I miss you, dear friend, for we hardly speak.
Day after day, week after week.
Every day I see you with your new friends.
How taxing to bear this weight, this jealousy that never ends!

I wish we’d go back to the way things used to be.
However, I know that it can’t be that easy.
I know we’ve changed through all the years that have passed.
“Why? Why must our friendship suffer so?” I ask.

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This was a very well-written poem, nice rhymes, but what really struck me was the subject.  It is very relatable, I've had the same exact experience, and you expressed it perfectly.

SUPERMANDwightHoward said...
Wow I really like this I find it kind of sad that things seem to work this way.

jaredwriter19 said...

Hi Katie! Finally signed up after you told me at Panera lol. Still love the poem!

katie-cat replied...
Jun. 12, 2010 at 7:15 am
lol, Thanks :)

Ridersblock said...
I can really relate to this.  Makes me so sad.  Great writing though.  Keep it up!

--LoveHappens-- said...
I love this... I can really connect and I understand and you portrayed it great. Good job. Please take a look at my work. I think you will find that my poem What Happened? is exactly like this... it has the same sad meaning but I would also like to to read The Pretty One. Please leave a comment on both thanks so much!!! Great job

katie-cat replied...
Sure, no problem.  I think I read The Pretty One and commented, but I'll double check to make sure.  I'll read What Happened?, too.  Thanks :)

thepreechyteenager said...
Jun. 5, 2010 at 9:05 am
I love the meaning of the poem.  Everyone has friend breakups, all of which are never easy.  But I have to agree with what people are saying about the rhyme thing.  I like rhyming in a poem, but the AA BB CC thing going on is a little to uniform- rehersed sounding.  Keep the rhyming, but maybe break the uniformity.

katie-cat replied...
Jun. 5, 2010 at 9:34 am
Thank you for your honest reply :) But what do you mean by the AA BB CC thing?

thepreechyteenager replied...
AA BB CC is your rhyme pattern.  One line rhymes with the one after it, the next line rhymes with the line after that one. Like, "speak, weak...friends, ends...be, easy... passed, ask"

katie-cat replied...
Oh, that's what I thought, but wasn't sure.  Thanks for explaining.  I'm going to post two of my other poems that are free-verse.  They're a little trite, but, please tell me what you think! Thank you!

Fayrouz This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

i can really relate to this but I don't know why you want it to rhyme. I used to feel the urge to rhyme every poem i wrote, but now I don't. so, my advice is if the rhyme made it harder to put emotion in, keep the rhyme out. try other things like alliterations and metaphors.

however, the emotion here is really obvious. now, let me apologize already and say that i have a bad reputation for telling people what to do with their writing! but i think you should have a stronger... (more »)

katie-cat replied...

Thanks for the critique and for being so honest.  I understand when you said, "I have a bad reputation for telling people what to do with their writing."  Sometimes I read a story and think, "No, this is how it should go." 

I'd originally wanted to enter a contest and thought of a different poem that didn't rhyme.  When I asked my mom for her opinion she didn't like the poem.  So then I came up with this one. (It was in geomet... (more »)

burnt-toast said...
Jun. 1, 2010 at 6:28 am
this is a great poem, i don't normally go in for rhymes but in this case you still managed to get the emotions through so it was fine. Sad, but true :( but well done, great writing :)

katie-cat replied...
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!