Leave It All on the Mat | Teen Ink

Leave It All on the Mat

By troyboyo8 BRONZE, South Plainfield, New Jersey
troyboyo8 BRONZE, South Plainfield, New Jersey

The dual meet came down to the last match and the score was tied./ Since my last teammate lost, the crowd was discouraged so they sighed./ The victory of my team was laying on my shoulders./
I hoped and prayed I would win, as I chilled and grew colder.//
I was ready to go as the entire tunnel clapped./ My calves, thighs, biceps, forearems, and my face were fiercly slapped./ I was nervous and excited as sweat streamed down my face/ the crowd cheered as I bounced side to side at a steady pace.//
I ran out quickly and checked in at the scorer's table./ It would be tough to get a win, but I was capable./ My palms were very sweaty as I stepped onto the line./ My brother has had his turn, now it is my time to shine.//
Eagerness went through my body, and the whistle was blown./ Then I fiercly clubbed my opponents head to set the tone./
I setup and angle and dove in, but my shot was blocked./ My angle was perfectl; along with the crowd I was schocked.//
I went in for another shot; this time I took him down./ I gained confidence and my opponent began to frown./ Staying tough on top, I rode him with a tight half and wrist./ The away crowd thought I was stalling and strated to hiss.//
As the first period ended, the score was two-zero./ If i could win this last match, I would be the great hero./ My coach told me to pick bottom, but I wanted top./ A popcorn kernel on bottom, I was ready to pop.//
My opponent dove for my legs as I was escaping./ The crowd went nuts; now the bleachers were heavily shaking./ I gained another point and began to widen my lead./ My opponent was determined and was picking up speed.//
He wanted to win more than me, and threw me to my back./ I was overly-confident and now began to slack./ Realizing I was losing, I fought hard to my belly./ I had a terrible feeling; my legs were like jelly.//
Gaining two more points, I reversed him by being real slick./ Then I brought him to his back and it all happened real quick./ I was extremely excited when the mat was then slapped./ I had won the match for the team as the crowd cheered and clapped.//

This poem was written just before I strated wrestling season. I was really excited for the season and hoped something like this would happen.