Candle | Teen Ink

Candle

By Military_Brat BRONZE, Ravenna, Michigan
Military_Brat BRONZE, Ravenna, Michigan

Risk more then others think is safe.
Care more then others think is wise.
Dream more then others think is practical.
Expect more then others think is possible.

Should I keep the candle burning or not? Shall I keep the candle burning to let them know I'm still here? That I'm still waiting & haven't given up? Should it stay burning to remind them of what used to be?

Or should I blow it out? Let go of the past & move on? I know things won't be the same, we won't be as close, things might just get worse. But maybe I should move on. Get my life going, grow up and take life more seriously.

But the candle will continue to burn in the hope that things will be just like old times. Change scares me, so I guess I'll keep the candle light. These memories are too sweet to let go of, & I'm not ready to move on.

I wrote this soliloquey for my English III class. What inspired me is that this is my last year of high school, everything is about to change and we really can't do anything about it. Some of us are going off to the military, moving out of state for college, or staying put. I wrote this to show that no matter what, I plan on being there for my friends, no matter where the military sends me.