3 in the Morning | Teen Ink

3 in the Morning

By Jim Bradke BRONZE, Bloomington, Indiana
Jim Bradke BRONZE, Bloomington, Indiana

It’s 3AM—three in the morning—and we are no strangers. For several sleepless weeks, our paths have crossed and he has become a familiar face. I am not always aware of his presence until the moment we bump into each other and at other times he completely passes me by, leaving me to deal with Dawn. And there is something you must know about Dawn. Dawn and I do not get along and I think I may actually hate her. But, I don’t know if I have a real reason to hold such distaste. She has never hurt me or been mean and that may be the problem. Dawn is too nice. She has a way of warming you up with her rosy red cheeks and her smile can brighten up the room. And when she wears violet, she is absolutely irresistible. You see; Dawn knows that she is beautiful and sometimes she likes to flaunt it. The worst part is that she doesn’t even have to work at it. Not a single blemish; complete and natural beauty. And I hate that I have to share her with the rest of the world. It bothers me to think that so many take her for granted. People rely on the fact that she never misses a day. She will always be there even if we aren’t. Fortunately for them, Dawn has a way of forgiving and forgetting, returning each day for a fresh start. And I guess there is some kind of lesson to be learned from her kindness, but I’d rather not get into that kind of crap. So goodbye 3AM, it was nice bumping into you…again.