Stereotypical

What do you see?

When you think of me,

What do you see?

Perhaps a freak?

Perhaps something to be?

And when you think of goth,

What do you see?

Someone clad in black?

Someone's who's free?

And when you think of prep,

What do you see?

Blonde with plaid skirts,

'Cool' and 'oh em gee'?

Now let's think of a nerd,

What do you see?

Thick glasses, pen protector,

Collared button-up tee?

And when you think 'hippie',

What do you see?

Rainbows and peace signs?

Or chained to a tree?

And for individual,

What do you see?

Do you see you?

Or maybe even me?

No matter who you are,

You're a category,

A stereotype,

And you're expected to be,

A simple follower,

Follow mindlessly.

But you're better than that.

'Cause you can truly see.

So be who you are.

And be the best you can be.

stephaniekip This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nice, eye-catching topic, your rhymes aren't forced. Overall, you did a lovely job! Keep it up! :)

Stephanie F. said...
i love this poem. i dress like a prep but i'm smart and love sports. i like that you adress the issue with such boldness. i kno that i think of the nerd to have a pocket protector. i like how you say wat people are thinking but are too scare or nerous to say it cause they'll get in trouble or something. pease kepp on writing

Hope said...
This is inspiring cause everybody does follow a group but not themselves, u trully inspired me

Lyn:) said...
May I ask why you think that? And how can I fix it then?

Meghan said...
I struggle with stereotypes Im emo at heart, but Im considered a hippoe because of my bleifes, and Im told I dress like a prep. I like how you address the issue of being yourself.

Sunshineyday said...
"I'm kind of a hippie becasue I am polititcally outspoken. I'm kind of prep becuase sometimes I like to put on a buttoned collared shirt.
I'm kind of a jock because I like sports. I'm kind of a nerd because I'm a good writer and generally good student. And I got a funny swagger, and I talk and walk with a unique accent. AM I freak? " My point bieng that people have different elemnts in thier pensonality, and 1 element does not define thier entire charach... (more »)

eMs23 said...
WOW! That was truly brilliant. I have the same problems and i hate when people are just expected to be one way and you cant be another. Keep writing!!

More2life said...
This was awesome! I've had problems with stereotypes, and this is just perfect! Stereotypes are stupid, you know? I mean, I'm a mix between preppy and nerdy and sometimes even cool. But that's not me! Everybody is an individual and we don't have to stick to "rules" of our category! This poem rocks!