Twice the Standard, Quadruple the Anguish | Teen Ink

Twice the Standard, Quadruple the Anguish

August 15, 2009
By Gellzandquill18 BRONZE, Flint, Michigan
Gellzandquill18 BRONZE, Flint, Michigan
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
" You mean I'm going to put down my sword and your going to put down your rock, and we're going to kill each other like civilized people."- Wesley from "Princess Bride"


We locked our princesses in high towers
To await their golden hour.
Wait to become some man's blushing bride,
Willing to wash his hind and scrub his teeth.
Wait a while,while the princes roamed free.

Trying girls on the tying them off
Cutting hearts to pieces with rusty saws.
Sowing what they will with their seed.
And selling them like kabobs
On skewers whilst their rods ached for more.
Searching for some brand new world to explore,

They wasted queens and spilled lies
Caught in twisted evil ties.
Found ones that flipped flap jacks and fit in small grooves.
Ones that had clipped wings and small mouths.
Fallen angels that couldn't remember the skies so they only flew south.

Ones that only grew smaller with each bite from a fork.
Ones that knew which stylish hairstyle to sport.
Ones that would fall on the ground and come up with a smile full of loam.
Desirous of nothing more than pocketbooks.
And ones with doll eyes full of vacant looks.


The author's comments:
This piece is not just a rally against society's female conceptions, though it can be read that way, but it worked out as more of a release for me. I wrote this poem as a response to my own stress and things that shocked me by hitting so close to home. I wrote this as a way of searching myself to find out how I truly felt on the subject and whether or not the actions of another would affect my own judgement. However, I found that it will not change me or my stand and I know all this sounds completely vague but I am trying to be as discreet as possible.Hopefully, this encourages young women and men not to acquiesce to society's standards and to come to find their own way through life experiences and human feeling. I truly hope that everyone is able to take something from this piece.