Where I Am From | Teen Ink

Where I Am From

August 10, 2009
By Gregory Song BRONZE, Gaithersburg, Maryland
Gregory Song BRONZE, Gaithersburg, Maryland
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I am from the old scooter in my cold, yet furnished basement that lets me speed by everything allowing me to feel the wind pound against me.
I am from colorful assortment of sweet-smelling flowers and the brand new blue trampoline, doused in a downpour of rain.
I am from little birds chirping and the fallen leaves rustling in the wind.

I am from a dirty soccer ball, played with by me and my brother kicked around senseless until it was flat, and a Christmas tree, embellished with many glistening ornaments that shine in the light.
I am from the breath-taking gifts I receive on a perfect Christmas Day.


I am from my mom’s carefully handled cookbooks and my brother’s shining black clarinet always played at least once a day.
I am from my cousin’s, Tony, bad-boy act and my dad’s, Hyun, constant care for me.
I am from sticky, white rice and the confusing language of Koreans.
I am from the many demanding wants of myself and my family.

I am from new, fun video games and difficult, yet exciting books.
I am from pencils that always have dull points and sleek, helpful computers.
I am from the unwanted war in Iraq, killing many innocents.
I am from global warming melting the polar ice caps, destroying the habitats of the polar animals.
I am from the dream that all fighting and environmental problems will cease to exist

I am from my grandfather’s deafening fire of his gun in the Korean War.
I am from his achievement of fleeing it to escape death.
I am from his achievement that helped me and my father exist.
I am from the other great adventures my incredible ancestors had.
I am from the plentiful supply of stories my relatives have to share joyously with me.

The author's comments:
I would like to share with my friends about my identity, where I am from, who I am..etc.
I would like to respect my present at the same time, my past and my originality.