Chris Benoit | Teen Ink

Chris Benoit

April 16, 2009
By Melissa Kleinert BRONZE, Wexford, Pennsylvania
Melissa Kleinert BRONZE, Wexford, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Acidic blood, shattered skulls, battle-scar
bruises: three cheers
for the red, white, and blue.


Nobody cheered me on that night.


It wasn’t televised.


I merely brought my work home to
Nancy, and little Daniel.


My #1 fans: match spectator; their expectation.

The Poison shrouded shrieks of participation.


Like flies to
my spider web, they had no
escape,

from
the Canadian Crippler’s
crippler crossface.


My strength, my superpowers – nothing but
Poison: what have I become? Prey to
its orders, its constricting cobra hold?


I am designed to kill;
expect that much out of me.

The author's comments:
Chris Benoit was a professional wrestler, who, in late June 2007, strangled his wife Nancy, suffocated his 7-year-old son Daniel, and subsequently hung himself. He was on anabolic steroids, which was the Poison in my poem, and had 10x the normal amount of testosterone in his system. Benoit also suffered from many concussions throughout his career; one of his signature moves was head butting his opponents. The brain damage he suffered from was most likely the leading cause in his actions. Bruce Springsteen’s song “The Wrestler” inspired me to take on this story of a wrestler’s double murder-suicide. I find wrestling to be such a violent sport, and for some reason, Benoit decided to take his work home to Nancy and Daniel, who were used to being his spectators, but had the tables turned on them to become the opponents. It is even said that Chris killed Daniel with his signature move, the crippler crossface. I think Benoit’s story really represents the dark side of masculinity: he was a successful wrestler, portrayed to be a family man, who obviously had a lot of issues beneath the surface.