Chris Benoit

Acidic blood, shattered skulls, battle-scar
bruises: three cheers
for the red, white, and blue.

Nobody cheered me on that night.

It wasn’t televised.

I merely brought my work home to
Nancy, and little Daniel.

My #1 fans: match spectator; their expectation.

The Poison shrouded shrieks of participation.

Like flies to
my spider web, they had no
escape,

from
the Canadian Crippler’s
crippler crossface.

My strength, my superpowers – nothing but
Poison: what have I become? Prey to
its orders, its constricting cobra hold?

I am designed to kill;
expect that much out of me.

Melissa K. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Uhh - excuse me, but I infact DID my research before writing this poem, thanks. This was an assignment for my creative writing class in high school, and I actually spent a LOT of time researching. Excuse me for not being politically correct - "sports entertainment", I've never seen it as a sport anyway, and I have absolutely no interest in wrestling, so whatever! That should not be a big deal. And I do not like the violence, thanks. Second, I said that "it has been said" that he killed his so... (more »)

Sunshineyday said...
Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:52 am
Uhh - you should fact check. First of all, professional wrestling is not a sport it's "sports entertainment", just TV - and yes, it's meant to be violent. Second, where did you hear that he killed his son with a wrestling move? Third, why did you write "three cheers for the red white and blue", if Benoit was Canadian? I do agree though that steroids are terrible, but be careful with facts if you want to get a point across.

KathleenE. said...
Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:05 am
Melissa, this is immaculately researched and powerfully constructed. I love how you give so much significance with careful word choice and with the spacing--it really makes the audience consider the haunting nature of your poem. You have an amazing talent and I demand you write all the time! :)