The History of An Empty Lot This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Heat dripping sweat in eyes ... flames, flickering ... fear clutching atyour bowels ... fire! ... pain, searing, burning ... children clutching theirmommies in fear ... fire! ... seeking protection ... flames lapping at the skylike hungry tongues ... spewing from the building sagging in heat-blistered agony... hands raised to foreheads mouths eyes ... tears streaming ... jaws dropped... hugs that don't change anything ... cinders falling ... she left thecigarette burning ... slipped from her hand ... guilt ... homeless ... bodiesslumped against the chain-linked fence sagging ... bright lights ... handsshielding eyes shining in the hellish glow ... fire! ... frenzy of activity ...yellow suits, axes swing, hoses, trucks ... noise, screams, noise, shouts, noise... burning ... my cat is still in there ... sadness, emotion, anger ... a wallcaves in ... sparks fly to greet the rising moon ... fiery eyes in the night ...windows like eyes filled with orange and red and yellow and white and bluedestruction ... the end ... the death ... ceasing to exist ... piles of blackashes to ashes ... charred wood like bones scattered through the lot ... victimsstare, led away in a daze ... fire? ... t i m e ... growth ... flowers grass ...birds ... bones buried ... for sale sign.