The American Dream This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

It is the American Dream
What we all strive for and imagine
Indouble-wide trailers to double-wide mansions
In sprouting lakes of fake fish.
Nothing captures its essence
Unbound by time or dust or rot
The thingswe cherish still are lovingly patted
And brought through thecenturies.

It is more than a dream now
It's a reality that the millionshave made
Our heart and soul builds the heaven on earth.
A refuge for thesick,
And a shelter for the needy,
It is everything we desire.

Inthe cherry trucks and laughing children
To indolent teenagers with smokecircling
We see our dream and the actuality
It may not be perfect, but itis our heaven
And so disillusioned we conjure forth our hope.

In thepicket fences we see our childhood
In the sky we see our adulthood
And inthe middle we see our life.
Suspended, but not contained,
It is the dreamthat wakes within us all.

Gretchen P. said...
Jun. 5, 2010 at 11:49 am
Very well written, I'm not a huge American patriot but none the less I cant deny the great quality of the poem and your word choice. Much of it is mostly true just about people in general

funnythewayitis said...
really true. i love it

Ashee97 said...
wow, this is amazing! where do you come up with such great poetry? i actually sung this as i was reading it, i thought it could also make a beautiful song. again, this is just sooo amazing! i am canadian myself though, but that dosent stop me from loving this poem to bits. do keep up the excellent work, you excell at writing poetry! :) awesome job!

iliketac0s said...
Apr. 22, 2010 at 10:55 am
this was beautiful!!

SolvoAnimus said...
Mar. 31, 2010 at 1:35 am

This is what I  think of when I think "America"...

Its a beautiful thang!

BrightBurningCampeador This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
When I think america I think of greed and huge corporations. I think of useless politicians and the blind ignorance that permeates our society.

miss.yell99 said...
it's so coooooooooool!!!

alayapoetgirl said...
When you get the chance please check out my opinion essay on animal rights/ vegetarianism

alayapoetgirl said...
I adore this poem, it is extremely well-written. It withholds extraordinary powers! lol, seriously. You are an amazing poet, and this poem has great truth to it as well

pampalooga This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow, this is really great! It has a lot of meaning behind simple metaphors and standards of American life. Check out my stuff if you have the chance!

RenaissanceMan said...
Well done. The truth in your poem is astonishing. I must humble myself in asking that you read my work if you have time. If not I understand. Again job well done.

Shirley_R_Kleiner said...
Jan. 2, 2010 at 9:44 am
I like it, it has nice message, but a couple parts that just don't flow as nicely as I would like, but still, it had such great meaning and depth, that I like it, and say Keep up the good work! My writings are pending, so once they are up here, would you take a peak? Thanks

haleyspruitt replied...
You say you are a writer and you spelled peak wrong?

Shirley_R_K replied...
It's just a typo... people make mistakes.  Besides, I posted this almost a year ago...

ariwrites94 said...
Nov. 19, 2009 at 8:40 am
wonderful poem! you are a talented writer!!! keep up the jaw-dropping work :) oh yeah if you have time could you maybe read, comment, and rate my poem called "Sensitive Am I?" Thanx. :)